sideburn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tumblr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$forum.jpg
when i zoom in on a image i find this orange blue glow around objects, i have been using a tripod and a remote button to try and stop this effect but i still get it its probably obvious but i would like to know how to stop it and what its called

It's called chromatic aberration, CA for short, and it has to do with the properties of the lens. Some lenses produce more of it, some less, especially in the corners and edges of the picture. It can be eliminated pretty well in various software applications. Lightroom does a really good job of dealing with it effectively.

Chromatic aberration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The way to solve it is use a post processing program to compensate, or get good glass or both :) it's more of an issue in some pictures than others, and sometimes only if you pixel peep

Buckster beat me to it, apparently I need to type faster!

Shoot a brightly lit window in a semi lit room, meter for the room. That will tell you how bad the CA is. My 10.5 Fisheye has a good amount of CA when the scene has some bright areas in dim subjects. I know this so I just shoot around it being mindful of where the problems will be. Here is an example from a shot of the inside of the tower at Desert View at the Grand Canyon. It is purple as hell there.
p1109033940-4.jpg

This is an underground shot of the Apache Death Cave in Two Guns Arizona. It causes some false color casting on the rocks, but in this case works with the scene. It is the orange at the shadow and light, which gives it a nice glow effect. CA lenses are a case of making lemonade from a lemon. Also if the CA is not really bad a CP can sometimes help to cancel it out.
p1109034086-4.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for you help everyone im using a standard 18-55mm lens with a wide angle lens adapter and i tend to use my CPL filter a lot. could it be because of the adapter, as that's cheap or could it be the filter.

If your "adaptor" is an add-on lens, then yes, it will worsen the CA problem, as it acts as a light-dispersing prism. All glass elements disperse light to a lesser or greater extent, and the design of lenses normally chooses a set of elements and glass types that cancel the spectrum dispersion to a greater or lesser extent.

I believe the issue is your "wide angle adapter".

Here is an example from a shot of the inside of the tower at Desert View at the Grand Canyon. It is purple as hell there.
p1109033940-4.jpg
Great example.

Even with that amount of CA, keep in mind that it can be removed in post processing. Lightroom does a great job of it with the CA Removal slider. If Joves will give me permission to edit this one photo, I'll show an edit to it with the CA removed.

Go for it Buck. This is one of the photos I use as examples of problems, I have some for noise, and dead pixels as well for when people ask.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back