Blur PP in Gimp

Turnerea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've tried using a bit of a zoom blur here on this picture to make the leaf really jump off the page. I created a 2nd layer, blurred it, then masked out the leaf. I had to mask out a bit more than just the leaf in order to keep the original leaf's edges crisp... but that also leaves a bit of grass showing that is not blurred.

I'd like to have all the grass blurred, but with a crisp edge to the leaf.

Maybe my process for doing this isn't the best- still learning how to PP. I'm trying to think of way of layering where I can do this easily... any tips would be appreciated

blur.jpg

Create a layer like you did and blur it how you want. Duplicate your original and inlarge it to about 700% At that size you can remove the background away from the leaf with fine detail. After that clone the leaf onto your blurred layer.

Thanks for the response-

I'm actually reading it again... and it makes sense now- I didn't quite do what you said originally. I think that when I clone the leaf back in, because the blur of the leaf is bigger than the leaf itself, the edges will still not be crisp. Should I expand the size of the leaf that I'm cloning on top of the blurred layer?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back