blurred arms and legs

kensfish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
using a Nikon 5200 with the tamron 24-7- 2.8 lens. Taking pics of grandchildren, for the most part pics are clear expect legs or hands are blurred. even using a higher shutter speed. any suggestions?

Tell the kids to be less blurry.

using a Nikon 5200 with the tamron 24-7- 2.8 lens. Taking pics of grandchildren, for the most part pics are clear expect legs or hands are blurred. even using a higher shutter speed. any suggestions?

If it's just the limbs that are blurred, then your shutter speed isn't fast enough. Kids can move around erratically so you might need a faster shutter than you think.

Indoors, a flash can help freeze motion. Outdoors, just work your ISO and aperture until you get shutters of at least 1/250, go 1/500 if light allows.

1/250 is just about fast enough to stop the limb motion of someone who is walking

A child running may require as fast as 1/1000 or more to stop the limbs.

It sounds like I had the some problem.

902072_547541071935331_1781090702_o.jpg

Some blurr in pictures is a good thing it shows speed of motion like the horsey shot posted. If you really want to freeze the image than as stated earlier you need to increase your ISO and/or aperture settings to be able to increase shutter speed and still get good exposure. Keep in mind the side effects of increasing ISO and/or Aperture though.

I'll echo the above.
Shutter speed being too slow is your culprit.
My sister's kids move at warp speed at the best of times.....gotta get up to 1/1000 to 'freeze 'em in place'.
:)

With an f2.8 lens, shooting wide open, and, presumably, indoors, the depth of field will be quite thin. It's altogether possible that the grand kids faces are in focus, but their hands and arms are outside the truly-sharp DOF. That, and too slow of a shutter speed. Trying to keep up with kids moving a million miles per hour can be tricky. Perhaps a combination of faster shutter speed and panning like Robins' outstanding horsey shot above is needed.

Most reactions

Back