Blurring Background of Moving Subject?

Rooster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, i've been checking out the site for while now but just registered.I've been interested in photography for several years I started shooting my moms old film Canon, then got my own film Canon SLR now im shooting a digital (Panosasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7), hoping to get a DSLR some time soon.

What is the best way to get the effect of a blurred background while keeping a moving subject in focus?, ive been trying different ways I thought would work but just cannot seem to get what i'm looking for. Any help would be really appreciated.

slow down the shutter speed and pan with the moving subject

When you pan wit the object, you need to pan at the same speed as the subject.

Also if you use a long lens you'll maybe struggle unless you have IS.

Do a google search on panning techniques.

Okay ... I just looked up your camera and you have manual controls (nice camera) ... so this is what you want to do.

1) set your ISO as low as it can go;
2) start at about 1/45 of a second for your shutter speed; and
3) adjust your aperture for a proper exposure.

Now you're set. As the moving object travels by ... move the camera with the object and at the same time release the shutter (this is called panning.) Chimp for effect. The blur is a combo of object speed and shutter speed . If you don't have enough blur ... then lower the shutter speed to 1/30 ... compensate for the lower shutter speed by adjusting your aperture and shoot again. Chimp for effect ... then again lower the shutter speed to 1/15, adjust your aperture and shoot. Typically between 1/45 and 1/15 you'll get a good looking image with background blur. Try to maintain the cameras as level as possible as you pan.

I recently did some panning of race horses during their work out at Santa Anita Park. You can find my snaps here:

Santa Anita

134598999-L.jpg

Gary

Thanks for the help guys, i'm gonna head out to the beach and try to get some pics of some surfers or birds using the panning technique.

Very nice pics Seefutlung, most of those have the exact effect im looking for.

Most reactions

Back