Blurry Sports Photos

Laxdad80

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am having problems with blurry sports photos (lacrosse). I use a Nikon D7000 with a 70-200mm lens and a monopod. I have been using auto ISO and aperature priority

(f 2.8). I set min shutter speed at 1/1000 sec. I am on AF-c for focus. I was on "single" mode. Should I use a different auto focus mode?

I also have a question about continuous high shooting mode. Does the camera refocus during this with shutter pressed down?

AF-C is by default a release priority mode (see pages 91 & 208 of your D7000 user manual). In AF-C mode the camera focuses Continuously.
AF-S focus mode is by default a focus priority mode. The shutter will only release if focus has been achieved. Using AF-S, you might not get a shot because the shutter wouldn't release
Many sports shooters use 'back button focus', which means moving the focus function to the AE-L/AF-L button on the back of the camera (AF-On). See page 97 - Lock Focus - of your D7000 user's manual.
AE-L/AF-L button options are in Custom Settings menu f5 - (page 232 of your D7000 user's manual).
You also have to chose one of the AF Area modes (page 94)

Action sports shooters use AF-C, but know some % of their shots will be OOF(out of focus).
Part of the skill set action sports shooter develop is minimizing that % of OOF shoots. Anticipation of the action, and shooting at the action's peak is a key.
Understanding game strategy and knowing how individual players react is very useful for anticipating the peak of action.

Most reactions

Back