BMW Photoshoot (Pic heavy)

Msteelio91

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.digitaldistrictphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Finally got around to cleaning up my car and taking some pictures with an actual camera.

2013 BMW 135i M-Sport in Carbon Black (real deep metallic blue)

For those interested in car stuff:
  • Single, twin-scroll turbo Inline Six tuned to 410hp/465tq
  • Berk Street Axle-Back Exhaust
  • CPE Charge Pipe
  • Carbon Fiber Rear Lip Spoiler
  • JB4 Stage 2 Tune
Everything shot hand-held with a 35mm on a D7k, no extra lighting.

135iv2-10 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

135iv2-15 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

135iv2-16 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

135iv2-12 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

135iv2-14 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

135iv2-13 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

135iv2-8 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

135iv2-3 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

135iv2-7 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

135iv2-1 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

135iv2-18 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

135iv2-20 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

I like the headlight detail shot. I'm NOT being a dick here, I'm trying to offer some CC. You get the idea image quality wise. The first two are cropped too tight. The shifter is a bit soft, motion blur maybe? The key photo needs something. I'm not sure what exactly. The steering wheel logo isn't bad. I'm not sure I like the portrait orientation of the rear partial. The wheel shot would be killer if the logo were upright-maybe pop off the center cap and spin it into position? The rear 1/4 shot is too tight again and underexposed. I actually like the CF lip shot. The rear shot would be better if you use a shallower DOF. And the last one, see if you can get rid of the reflections of the lights. That shot could be mighty clean without them.

The big thing overall: I would try using alternative light sources and multiple exposures to eliminate those streaks from the fluorescent lights. You have a promising set, but give it another try armed with some more knowledge (like light painting with a flash and layer masks) and I think you'll do great.

I like the headlight detail shot. I'm NOT being a dick here, I'm trying to offer some CC. You get the idea image quality wise. The first two are cropped too tight. The shifter is a bit soft, motion blur maybe? The key photo needs something. I'm not sure what exactly. The steering wheel logo isn't bad. I'm not sure I like the portrait orientation of the rear partial. The wheel shot would be killer if the logo were upright-maybe pop off the center cap and spin it into position? The rear 1/4 shot is too tight again and underexposed. I actually like the CF lip shot. The rear shot would be better if you use a shallower DOF. And the last one, see if you can get rid of the reflections of the lights. That shot could be mighty clean without them.

The big thing overall: I would try using alternative light sources and multiple exposures to eliminate those streaks from the fluorescent lights. You have a promising set, but give it another try armed with some more knowledge (like light painting with a flash and layer masks) and I think you'll do great.

Thanks man, no "dickness" taken lol.

I was dealing with some pretty limited kit and time (did this in literally 15mins!) so these weren't ever going to be perfect, just some shots of my car in the garage after a wash. I don't have any alternative lights really so that's out. And as for the close crops that's due to the massive columns all over the garage, you can actually still make them out in that side profile pic. Something you can't see in these pictures is how much editing I did just to get them to look reasonable, those columns are all BRIGHT yellow, as you can see in the pic below. I agree on everything you said though!

I have a better, more empty/spacious location at my office that I'd love to do a proper shoot at, I just haven't had the time.

If you could, can you expand at all on the rear vertical shot that you think is missing something? Is it the angle, or maybe that it's too close? Too low maybe?

TOTALLY agree with you on that wheel shot. I loved it after I took it but didn't have time to adjust anything, really want to re-do that one.

The key one I'm not really feeling either haha. And yes, if you see softness it's motion blur, hand-held but will definitely use a tripod for the next round.

Here's the yellow-ass columns to give you an idea on the color-correction I had to do. My WB's and exposures were nuts.

20160506_174708 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

I dunno what it is on the rear vertical shot. I think horizontal works better for those kinds of shots, and perhaps I'd wanna see more car, but still have the side leading away...? I'm not sure.

some of those are super sharp and detailed, bueatiful images over all but some of them just seem to be lacking color, kind of like the saturation was turned way down or something and i do not quite like that..

Get that outside so we can see it. Its hidden in the dark.

I dunno what it is on the rear vertical shot. I think horizontal works better for those kinds of shots, and perhaps I'd wanna see more car, but still have the side leading away...? I'm not sure.

Ok I'll give it another try!

some of those are super sharp and detailed, bueatiful images over all but some of them just seem to be lacking color, kind of like the saturation was turned way down or something and i do not quite like that..

The saturation was pretty heavily manilpulated, as was everything else! Here's a "before" shot, pre-editing.

135iv2nonedit-1_zps9gxnpmms.jpg

This x 100

Hahaha alright alright I'll try and do some outdoor shots. The weather here has been crap for weeks though.

Most reactions

Back