BMX C&C please

revenater

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to the BMX track with my husband and nephew and decided this would be a good time to practice taking some motion shots. I just wanted to get advice on how I can improve this shot in PS and advice on what I should have done differently so I can improve next time.
$Josh jump.jpg

my settings where ISO 800
Shutter 1/250
Fstop 11
105mm with a 70-300 zoom

Not sure that there's a lot that can be done, or that needs doing in post. For future shots however, the first thing would be to have the subject riding into the sun for best lighting. This would avoid the shadows on his chest and face. Next, watch your backgrounds; the light pole really kills this shot ('though you could try to clone it out if you have a lot of paitence). I would also suggest a slower shutter speed probably around 1/100 - 1/125 to freeze the the main subject, but allow some motion in the wheels. Example.

I would include more of the background and lock my focus. Also I would have the rider facing the sun as well.

I understand about the sun thing but the track runs north to south so I was going to get the shadows no matter which way they were going.

Not sure that it's any better or worse; different perspective, but otherwise a similar shot.

ok thank you for your comments

With action shots like this, it's important to give the viewer perspective. You may know if there is a jump coming up or if they just landed a huge one, but to me it's a dude on a bike riding down a hill, and another dude a couple inches off the ground (which is probably a good thing considering there's no helmets, gloves or knee pads worn).

Get closer to the action, but use a fast wide angle and show me more of where they are, and doing more interesting things.

try a slow shutter speed, you can try panning and also it will give the wheels that sense of motion and instead of being frozen

In your first image, you were at ISO 800. That is way too high for outdoors on a sunny day. Try (AV) mode and dropping down to about ISO 200, Then stop down to the lowest F-stop your lens will allow. (the camera will pick the shutter speed) This will seperate your subject from the background. The light pole in the background is really distracting. Most importantly keep shooting and have fun.

P.S. Helmets are cool. :thumbup:

Thank you everyone that is very helpfull. I did the ISO at 800 because the light was very low and even at a 4.5 fstop the pic was way to dark so I raised the iso up until it looked ok.

First one is killed by the lamp post, backgrounds are just as important as main subjects. Second one is really close, just a little too much movement in the rider, otherwise the pan is working, most of the time it takes a lot of shots to get one just right. Keep at it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back