Boat / ship photo's

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am curious if there are any basic rules for composition on photographing ships and boats. I have taken a few docked but they seem boring to me. I guess I am looking for suggestions or examples of producing a more dramatic capture. As an example, when I look at a well used fishing boat, I am drawn to it but not sure what I want the viewer to see.

I have been studying the definitions. Maybe this is a good start?
parts of boats and ships - synonyms and related words | Macmillan Dictionary

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Do you know what the difference between a ship and a boat is?

;)

Ships/boats are much like cars & trucks. That is, when they're sitting, not doing anything (tied up) they're usually not very exciting, and hard to photograph. For these situations, I generally like to zoom in, sections of rope, chain, rust, etc; the detail shots.

I am curious if there are any basic rules for composition on photographing ships and boats. I have taken a few docked but they seem boring to me. I guess I am looking for suggestions or examples of producing a more dramatic capture. As an example, when I look at a well used fishing boat, I am drawn to it but not sure what I want the viewer to see.

So you'll need several jerry can's full of gasoline, matches, and about 300 rats.

Do you know what the difference between a ship and a boat is?

;)

Ships/boats are much like cars & trucks. That is, when they're sitting, not doing anything (tied up) they're usually not very exciting, and hard to photograph. For these situations, I generally like to zoom in, sections of rope, chain, rust, etc; the detail shots.

Yes, I know the difference. Ok, what about when they are moving? Should the bow always point to the left of the frame? Or does it not matter?

So you'll need several jerry can's full of gasoline, matches, and about 300 rats.
Oh my...

I am looking for suggestions or examples of producing a more dramatic capture. As an example, when I look at a well used fishing boat, I am drawn to it but not sure what I want the viewer to see.
Change it up a bit with different angles, different lighting, different perspective, etc. Try to get a shot of something that few people have ever seen or noticed before.

Years ago I was interested in sailing ships/boats and took it upon myself to learn most the nautical terminology, especially the terms pertaining to sailing. Nowadays it means nothing because I never talk sailing with anyone.

But take heart! There is a lifetime of learning ahead of you in that genre.
Should the bow always point to the left of the frame? Or does it not matter?
Port or starboard makes no difference, but just as with any moving object, it should have some space into which to move.

boat.png

A good action shot never fails to impress and can always give a nice sense of context

11063777_10204794270120883_1085062938179937772_o.jpg
12022347_10204794272360939_7962047232142219424_o.jpg

Boats typically look the best when out at sea with full sails or moving or both, as such you will always get (in my opinion) a better shot if you can get out on a boat and photograph other boats. Clouds can help create a bit of perspective the water is calm you can some times lose the horizon as it blends to the water. Sun sets on the water can be really nice and the magic hour can be really great out at sea.

The boat crossing photo is always a classic in sailing. I cant take credit for this one (I think it was taken by the race committee) but thats me in the grey T-Shirt on the lead boat. You can see how the action helps to make the boats look like they are really moving (we were not going that fast.
11164757_10152897950714141_7974067123069068598_n.jpg

Reagrds
Dave

when I look at a well used fishing boat, I am drawn to it but not sure what I want the viewer to see.

I can see that being a problem. ;);)

Studying definitions will only help your spelling, it'll do nothing to improve your view. I think a lot of the problems "landlubbers" have is that they always view boats from the land or the dock. Look at them from the water, or the waterline and use the same judgement you do with all your other photos.

img152_sm.jpg

_DSC4191_sRGB_sm.jpg

when I look at a well used fishing boat, I am drawn to it but not sure what I want the viewer to see.

I can see that being a problem. ;);)

Studying definitions will only help your spelling, it'll do nothing to improve your view. I think a lot of the problems "landlubbers" have is that they always view boats from the land or the dock. Look at them from the water, or the waterline and use the same judgement you do with all your other photos.

View attachment 120493

View attachment 120494

Most reactions

Back