Boats in a Harbor (comparision)

darin3200

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
friedrichsphotography.com
While in Boston I took this shot of some boats in a harbor. I have done quite a bit of work in Gimp on each. I liked the scence because the boat in the front stood out and had a great color compared to the others and how it was a calm little harbor with simple boats. I didn't like the orginal color picture because it was an overcast day and the it seems under-saturated.
Feel free to play around with these pictures.

Here is the orignal
4.jpg

Here is the black and white one where the boat still sticks out
bw.jpg

And then I brought out just that boats color in this one
color.jpg

All feedback is appreciated

a lot of people don't like mixing colour and BW but i'm one who does as long as it's done properly. this one works really well as the red is dark yet soft and doesn't contrast too much with the BW. nice one

i'm a big fan of selective color works like the last one ...especially when nicely done like this one. my favorite of the three. it really brings out the best in that photo if you ask me. more of a focal point compared to the original.

you really nailed the 'feel' of the water with the b/w higher constrast one. that's a great edit.

I'll be the odd one out here and say that I really prefer #2. The black and white is really fitting and provides great detail. The selective color doesn't really stick out IMO. What was it that made you want to single that boat out and color it? Because you write above your second pic that you think the boat sticks out...so why the need to stick out more? Two seems to work really well, nice amount of contrast and good composition. The other thing is, if you really like the one that has selective coloring, then you might see if you can paint the whole boat. Because in comparison to the first shot I can see that there were some greyed areas on the boat, but if someone were only to see the third, they might thing you did a terrible job at the coloring b/c without the first it looks like you left spots out...

Thanks for all the responses so far.
eromallagadnama, I see what you mean about the coloring on #3, I did do the whole boat but then the cabin color sticks out as blue in the black and white, so I need drop down the saturation on that part so it isn't so overdone.

yes fill in the color pic better, I like the red color on the boat, just needs to be finished

all are very nice :) love the bw with colour.

I really like #2. The high contrast and the vignetting really lead the eye to the boat. I'm not really digging the selective coloring; it just feels really awkward. Don't mess with #2, keep it just like it is. :)

I like the black and white by itself. It gives it kind of a rustic feel, like the first day of the fishing season in some year past. Good job on it.

I prefer the black and one version only. Without any colour. The full colour version has rather poor light, and looks a bit boring. While the black and white with very strong contrast is much more appealing

The boat catches my attention more in the B/W, still lets my eye wander around the picture a bit.

I like the colour mixing one as well, maybe try a more faded red on the hull?

Most reactions

Back