Boats Of Tortuguero

James_L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Any brutal honesty you wish to give would be appreciated on this one.

It's been over-saturated on purpose. But no other major post-processing changes.

I like this shot. But when I've shown it to others I've received mixed response(from people trying to be polite). So if you don't really like it, please give a reason why (no one will see me cry anyway!)

Thanks!
36227248.jpg

Is it so red in reality ?
It's quite interesting but, for me, it's really too much. :?

edit > oops, forget the question :oops: I hadn't read your description ....

I do like the idea, but I think it might be a little too over done in this shot. Maybe try toning down the colors of the object in the backround... nice composition though!

Zach :D

Definitely too saturated. A little less would probably be better. Too much saturation also increases noise, and that's also clearly visible in the pic.

Like the theme, however.

It looks like everyone has similar critique on this image. :)

too saturated...

It might've been interesting, but doesn't provoke any thinking. And is not very interesting...

Water is a bit boring. And there are boats...

I guess you need to form a message before you take a picture. cheers.

The question I'm having to you, James, is: why did you saturate it so much?
And those who looked at it before, have they seen this over-saturated version?
You must have an intention in putting these glaring colours into the photo. Which one is it?

For me, it's too much, too (and I seem to agree with most of the others here). Plus I'm finding it too busy. Too many boats in the background, when your focus clearly lies on the overturned one in the front. Could you go and reshoot and change your position just a little so that you catch the overturned boat from a different angle? Or have you tried that? Could we see other photos from the same series? Maybe?

You said it's over saturated on purpose so I won't comment on that.

However it's very soft from resizing. After resizing run your image through unsharp mask. This will sharpen the image and make it crisper and clearer. Obviously a good thing. ;)

As far as composition goes, my eyes are drawn to the distant boats. Taking my attention away from the foreground boat which is oodles more interesting. I'd like to see you recompose it without the other boats in the photo, or maybe crop them out. I think you'd have a much stronger image if you did.

Thanks everyone! These are things I really want to hear.

I'm hearing the saturation is too much. I guess I knew that but somehow I just liked adding the unreal color. I love bold color. But I need to learn when and how it should be used.

Also, the composition could be less busy in the background. I wish I could go back and shoot again but unfortunately this location is 1000's of miles away from where I currently am.

I find this feedback valuable. Thanks again to everyone who responded!

for me it is surreal... great for graphics but not photography

Most reactions

New Topics

Back