Body Suggestion

ryanrichmond

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shot weddings a long time ago with my trusty D300 and a variety of great lenses. I sold all of my gear a while back and it's been about 7 years since I've picked up a camera. I can't even remember the last time I logged into my account on this forum
I've missed photography almost every day and only now am I able to even entertain the idea of getting back into it.

I don't plan to shoot weddings anymore but I do want the option to do the occasional portrait session. Really, I just want to shoot for me in low light conditions with a 50 1.4

I'm so out of the loop as far as technology goes. I've been trying to do my research with the use of Google and this forum but it's all pretty overwhelming.
Every time I find a decent used body, it has high actuation count and scares me off.

My budget is about $500

HELP!

I don't know the market where you live but maybe a used d7200 would be possible for 500. It doesn't have the bullet proof build of your old d300 but it's a great camera

D750's are at a pretty good price these days. They are one Nikon's best low light FX cameras

For that budget, find a used D600. Youre not finding a D750 for $500.

https://www.adorama.com/us 1084151.html

this one is priced at $499. Call and see what the shutter count is at. Then get the serial number and call Nikon and see if the shutter has been replaced yet. If not, chances are VERY HIGH it's suffering from oil slinging issues and Nikon will replace the shutter for free -- ultimately replacing the only moving part and basically bringing the camera to refurbished status.

I'd highly recommend the 58mm 1.4 over the 50mm 1.4.

Last edited:
If you want to stay with Nikon the D7200 DX is a great buy right now and at 24mp, great for portrait work as well as most everything else. I used mine for landscapes, wildlife, especially birding, before picking up a D500. If you want a full frame, look at the D750. My D7200 came with an 18-140mm f3.5-5.6G kit lens, which is a very competent walk around lens and works well for portraits. When I got serious about event photography including portraits, I picked up a Tamron 85mm f1.8. You will be very pleased with that lens. A good place for camera and lens reviews is DxOMark.com. Another place I find useful is Northrup Photography. The easiest way to get to their videos is through Facebook. Just search for Northrup Photography. Welcome back. Enjoy!

I'd try to stretch the budget for a new D7200 since prices are slowly trending down. For me, it's a great all-rounder and a stone cold bargain for what it delivers. Its ability to meter with Ai/AiS lenses opens up all kinds of options. Great viewfinder. Long-life battery. Get a used battery grip for extra capacity and the optional AA tray. The APS-C sensor will cause you no embarrassment.

..the occasional portrait session. ..low light conditions with a 50 1.4
When you shot portraits before, were you using a 50mm lens? That's quite short, IMO, maybe too short, if that is what you had in mind. The 50 f/1.8 g is another good option for low light.

I suppose you could jump in with a Nikon D3200 for about $400, and buy a 50mm lens for another hundred, and you're in under budget.

Another option is to keep watching for a really good deal on a used pro body and hope to find a really good lens for cheap.

Good luck!

..the occasional portrait session. ..low light conditions with a 50 1.4
When you shot portraits before, were you using a 50mm lens? That's quite short, IMO, maybe too short, if that is what you had in mind. The 50 f/1.8 g is another good option for low light.

I suppose you could jump in with a Nikon D3200 for about $400, and buy a 50mm lens for another hundred, and you're in under budget.

Another option is to keep watching for a really good deal on a used pro body and hope to find a really good lens for cheap.

Good luck!

No I was using the Tamron 28-75 2.8 or the Nikon 85

You can't have it all.

If you want a great body, prepare to pay for it. Consider it like a triangle:

Low Actuations
//...................\\​
Low Price ======= High Quality

That said, there are still plenty of great bodies, that - while not professional, and not as good in low light - are still perfectly usable, and on the cheaper end (I.E. D5300, etc).

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm thinking that my "need" for a rugged body and finding it hard to find anything decent and in good condition for $500, that I need to expand my budget. I've been looking at the D610 and hope to find one with a lens within the $800 range

D600s will be less than D610s and they are the ~exact same camera.

Adorama has (7) D600s for $600 or less in various conditions. they have an E- rated one for $510.

It's much harder AND expensive to find a used D610.

Now again, the best part of the deal:

The many, if not most, D600s experienced oil spatters on the sensor. They are protected from a lifetime warranty against it. If your D600 exhibits it, they will replace the shutter for free. If shutter count is what you're concerned with -- no other camera on the market has coverage specifically for the shutter. If the oil comes back after repair, they will replace the camera outright for a brand new D610. This is well documented. This is what makes the D600 an amazing buy.

At $500, you have $300 to work with for a lens. you can pick up the 50mm 1.4d for around $100, or buy a decent all-around lens like the 24-85mm (or 24-105D) and stay way under budget.

Thanks, Braineack that’s some good info!
I’ll call Adorama tomorrow and get the low down on one of the 600’s they have for sale.

I found a 610 tonight with a lens includes and agreed to a good price but when I asked him to check his actuations, he said it was 83,000 so i declined.

The 600's that Adorama currently has were all in the 100k-115k actuation range.

:) I bought my D800 with 9,100 clicks.

IIRC, the shutter count doesn't get reset in the body if the shutter has been replaced. I would ask for the serial number of that "E-" rated one at $510 and call Nikon and see if the shutter has been replaced on it yet.

I called back and they told me they had no idea how many actuations were on the $509 D600 *Shrug*
He then offered me the camera for $489 and free shipping.
Nikon said the shutter has not been replaced but obviously they would replace it for free if I have issues so I guess it's just a gamble.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back