Bokeh is a good party trick (and other Christmas party stories)

nickzou

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Let's share some stories.

So I opened up my GF2 at my family friend's house. It wasn't a surprise, I asked for it but it was still nice. I busted it out and had some fun with it and showed some of my pictures to the youngens (younger than me, so basically high schoolers) and as long as you can kinda knock out the background (and it's kinda difficult in doors with the kit lens) they seem very impressed. Nevermind good framing, rule of thirds, shapes, or symmetry. Bokeh seems to have the most immediate effect on them.

I also had my D7000 going during the party and every comment I got was something to the effect of "wow, that's a nice camera" or "wow, that camera DOES take good pictures". To which I just rolled my eyes and laughed a bit and agreed. I mean yeah, I agree that the D7000 is a nice camera, probably not for the same reasons as they thought though (I liked the ISO performance and ergonomics, they liked that it was big and pro looking). The best part was when one of my friends' moms, decided that she was good at taking photos and demanded my camera. Thinking she could do better (she didn't like the candids I took of her, I think that generation really likes to be posed properly with a fake smile kinda thing). So I handed her the camera in manual mode and didn't bother explaining anything (honestly, my Chinese is not good enough to explain exposure triangle anyways) and let her take a picture of me and my mom in front of the Christmas tree. First she kept hitting the exposure compensation button and wondering why it didn't take a picture. Then I told her where the shutter button actually was. And the shot came out horribly underexposed. She kinda got frustrated and I tried to help her out by switching it to aperture priority mode. Again she kept hitting the exposure compensation button (lol maybe Nikon needs to work on the placement of that button). Eventually she took a picture but it was all blurry because we were in doors and I didn't have auto-ISO on (I actually tried to turn it on at one point in the night but I so seldomly turn it on I got frustrated with the menus and just left it). I tried to explain that she should tuck her elbows in and not use the live-view but she wouldn't listen. That's how she shoots on her compact, damn it! Eventually, I just set it to auto and sure enough the flash popped up and the resulting image looked bland and flat. She gave up in frustration and went to grab her camera.

We competed a little after that (her taking it a little more seriously than me). But eventually I think she realized that a DSLR does not make an image.

Anyways, that was my very amusing Christmas Eve. Share some stories!

Last edited:
I found your story entertaining! Any kind of image from a DSLR impresses my teenage friends, little do they know that there is more to it then just good quality!
Thanks for sharing.;)

I usually take my P&S for Christmas pictures. It's just too cumbersome to carry my D7000 even with a 50mm lens. On top of that, I kind of hide the fact that I'm a photographer until I have a more impressive portfolio to wow people. :D

Most reactions

Back