Bokeh....

random rant... shot, simple...... I disagree though. Bokeh is Japanese, if firefox used every language out there, we'd never see words with errors, the world is too diverse.

random rant... shot, simple...... I disagree though. Bokeh is Japanese, if firefox used every language out there, we'd never see words with errors, the world is too diverse.

Yeah, it was just a tiny little rant. :p

You have a point-- but most dictionaries use it, and dictionaries don't have every Japanese word either.

Kindergarten works so why should a Japanese word that has been incorporated into common English not?

"Bokeh" is hardly a common word - in fact I would consider it highly technical. Even half the people on this forum don't know what it means, but I can guarantee you that my mom knows "Kindergarten."

I recall read in Shutterbug that “boken” is an American spelling and not the Japanese western style alphabet spelling

I recall read in Shutterbug that “boken” is an American spelling and not the Japanese western style alphabet spelling

LOL, "boken" is what happens when my three year old throws a toy and it ends up in two or more pieces. :greenpbl:

true

the original Japanese spelling (well it's symbols, but in roomaji or roman lettering to sound out symbols) it's "boke" pronounced bow-keh (almost like kay but with a short e)

For those who did not know!

Bokeh
(from the Japanese boke ぼけ, "blur") is a photographic term referring to distorted out-of-focus areas in an image produced by a camera lens.[1] Different lens bokeh produces different aesthetic qualities in out-of-focus backgrounds, which are often used to reduce distractions and emphasize the primary subject.

Laplace transforms and Fourier transforms are also technical terms :) They are in the dictionary.

I guess it comes down to how complete the dictionary is. The fact is if a word is in common use in the English language it should be in the dictionary. The word lol is marked red in firefox, but it's in the Oxford dictionary.

Since I don't use firefox I don't know what it is doing to the words. Does firefox prevent you from typing words it doesn't consider "real?" Trying to autocorrect? Or is it doing a spell check and highlighting what it considers incorrect?

I'm pretty sure everyone who posted on this thread knew what bokeh was. My previous post was in jest due to the misspelling of "boken" with an "n" instead of a, "h."

Bokeh has been included in the Webster's New Millennium (TM) Dictionary of English and of course it has its own page on wikipedia, LOL

Firefox is a web browser and I can't see how one would actually type into it.
OTOH, Thunderbird is an email client from the same organization doesn't reject BOKEH.

Most reactions

Back