Books on photography

Diabolus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just read "Understanding Exposure (Revised Edition)" by Bryan Peterson. This book really helped me understand the complexities of exposure and several other issues for the beginning photographer. The book was recommended by several users on this website and it turned out to be a real winner.

I dropped a lot of hard earned money on good camera package and I plan to use it for years. My main hobby is hiking the Sierra's and I now get to add photography - a perfect combination for me.

With all that being said, what are some other books that can add some value to my knowledge base?

I just read "Understanding Exposure (Revised Edition)" by Bryan Peterson. This book really helped me understand the complexities of exposure and several other issues for the beginning photographer. The book was recommended by several users on this website and it turned out to be a real winner.

I dropped a lot of hard earned money on good camera package and I plan to use it for years. My main hobby is hiking the Sierra's and I now get to add photography - a perfect combination for me.

With all that being said, what are some other books that can add some value to my knowledge base?
Bryan peterson has 3 other books on the market. All are supposed to be just as good as understanding exposure. And he has a 4th out April first. understanding shutter speed. I did talk to him threw e-mail and he stated not to waist your money on his understanding Digital because it was already out of date.

I would look for something aimed at composition as anything having to do with technology or anything heavily reliant on a current technology will be outdated in 12 months. I plan to pick up Understanding exposure and probably the biography of Ansel Adams after that, although I can't vouch for it's quality just yet.

What do you want to find out more about? It sounds like you are interested in nature photography so it might be good to pick up a book specifically on that. However, check out a topic where I asked the same question: http://photocamel.com/forum/photography-talk/39284-recommend-me-reading-material.html.

I ended up buying the "Photography" book which was pretty useful but it was mostly about film and I shoot digital. After that I bought "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman which I am still working through. It is about composition and so far has confused me a bit but it does explain things in new ways. It looks like the kind of book that is worth reading through several times to get every last drop of knowledge.

Good luck on finding a book. Let us know what you end up picking up and if it helps. :)

I have "Mastering Nature Photography", by John Kieffer. It touches on everything a little (composition, exposure, equipment...), but it has a pretty heavy bias towards shooting for stock agencies.

A lot of it might be the same stuff Understanding Exposure (haven't read that, so I don't know) covers, but if you find yourself doing a lot of nature photography (which I'd imagine you would in the Sierra's) it might be worth picking up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back