"BORDER" OR "NOT TO BORDER"

gregie27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Litratista ng Cebu.Davao.Seascapes.Landscapes
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
good day! ;) i just want to share my conversation with Asher Kelman (Editor in Chief of OPF). he advised me the ff:
"Avoid frames, A black frame should only be use where it helps the presence, expression or other characteristic of the art. You can choose whatever frame you like. I however, find most black frames stifle appreciation. Images are enhanced by what is not actually there and what we imagine. The dark border, to me at least, holds that back."

i'm such a sucker for frames so ill be attaching 2 pics with borders and the other as is. kindly let me know what you think
thanks for looking;)

REMNANTS BORDERED
HD (3861X2574)> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2623/3783603861_aab69ee3f1_o.jpg
3783603861_2364330df3_b.jpg

good day! ;D i just want to share my conversation with Asher Kelman (Editor in Chief of OPF). he advised me the ff:

"Avoid frames, A black frame should only be use where it helps the presence, expression or other characteristic of the art. You can choose whatever frame you like. I however, find most black frames stifle appreciation. Images are enhanced by what is not actually there and what we imagine. The dark border, to me at least, holds that back."

i'm such a sucker for frames so ill be attaching 2 pics with borders and the other as is. kindly let me know what you think :)
thanks for looking ;)

I am totally against black borders/frames. They change your perception of the image and the image should stand on its own. It shouldn't have to rely on a black frame to look good. I tend to skip photos on this forum that are framed in black.

Go to a photo gallery. How many photos do you see there with black mats?

I am totally against black borders/frames. They change your perception of the image and the image should stand on its own. It shouldn't have to rely on a black frame to look good. I tend to skip photos on this forum that are framed in black.

Go to a photo gallery. How many photos do you see there with black mats?

point taken cloudwalker.:thumbup:

Believe me I once used black mats. No one is born knowing everything. We all have to learn.

When I was getting ready for my first show, I was sitting around with the owner of the gallery one day and she told me that if she could get away with it, she would paint the gallery medium gray. Of course, it is not very appealing so she used a white paint. :D

I generally don't like soft frames at all of any way shape or form but I have to say that I'm more inclined to look at the one WITH the frame than without in this example. But the background it sits against otherwise for me is this off-white-blue-ish which doesn't serve the image. The black makes it stand out in this particular instance.

I actually like the bordered version, although what cloudwalker says is very true. But hey, rules are they to be broken, if it works it works.

Btw the image is awesome,

Peter

thanks peter, rufus, cloudwalker for giving time. among everything else, these just caught my attention::thumbup:
if it works it works.
No one is born knowing everything. We all have to learn.

My opinion...

Frames are for prints.

I'm not a fan of borders, but after seeing your image with the black border and without, I have to admit it does actually look better with the border.

i like the framed/bordered version.
especially when posted on a forum or other cluttered site there is so much going on around the photo that isn't supposed to be there the frame/boarder create a significant enough contrast or separation from the clutter to allow your eye to focus on the shot without interference.
in the border version the first thing i see is the photo. in the non boarder version the first thing i see is the banner that says this image was resized.... then my eye quickly scans down through your photo onto your signature following the natural flow of the shot without concentration the eye will bypass the shot all together.

same goes for a print. the frame allows your eye to focus closer on the picture itself and discard the surrounding colors or items.

@itznfb i totally agree that it kinda finishes the entire image. giving it a room of its own amidst the clutter. presentation purposes so to speak..:thumbup:

Try putting just a thin black line around the image. It will do, I believe, the same thing without changing the perception of the image.

And if you want a thick border, try a gray. Something close to a medium gray.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back