Border

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I usually send a picture to snapfish for printing and/or when I try to print it at the Sony kiosk (at Kinkos), the machine tends to crop the borders.

What should be done in PS in order to avoid this scenario?

thanks

by borders, do you mean you made a frame around the picture?
if it's that, just spraymount it to a piece of foamcore or something :p
otherwise i dunno, probably has to be done at the kiosk or bucket

I'm guessing you mean that when you want an 8X10 or something, some of your image gets cropped to get it to fit on whatever size print you want? If that's the case, in PS, make sure your pic is exactly 8X10 inches (or whatever size you want). OR do what I do and find the option to print the entire image on the given size print you want. That will leave you unused white borders that you trim off once you get your pics back. Adorama calls it Letterbox, the software I got to use for a local lab just has a check box that says 'print entire image'.

This is why people get into cutting their own mattes or get custom size frames made.

When I said 'border' I did not mean the frame around the border.

I'm guessing you mean that when you want an 8X10 or something, some of your image gets cropped to get it to fit on whatever size print you want? If that's the case, in PS, make sure your pic is exactly 8X10 inches (or whatever size you want).
Thats what I meant. But I did try that with negative results :(

OR do what I do and find the option to print the entire image on the given size print you want. That will leave you unused white borders that you trim off once you get your pics back. Adorama calls it Letterbox,
How much does Adorama charge per pic? And can I do it from my computer??

Yup, just upload your digi files, preview, and order. Gotta download their software of course. I just use the free version. They aren't the cheapest but are far from expensive. Quick turnaround too. S&H will kill you if you're just getting a few prints done at a time so I just copy all my scanned stuff that I want to get prints of to CD. When I get enough (10-20), I do em' all at once and pay for quick shipping.

Thanks and have a wonderful July 4th holiday :)

When you put your image together in photoshop use inches THEN set the dpi. Sometimes you may need to ensure your image dpi matches the dpi on the printer. Before you burn to CD check the size (lxwxdpi) to ensure it's what you want.

Some printers use 300, 320, 400 dpi by default. The printers are supposed to automatically compensate for this but sometimes they don't. For example a 300 dpi image on a 400 dpi printer may print out as a smaller image.

Can you check the print resolution on the Sony Kiosk?

I had a bunch of 4x6@300dpi files go to our local Wal-Mart and they cropped out about 1/4 all around. I think it was the technician in this case. I've not had any problems since with them or with our local Walgreens.

Good point. Thanks!

I know some printers are based on the amout of pixels and not the image size. A friend spent a few hours with a few local shops to finally discover the quart.

You do not have to make you picture 8x10 inches, that would generally result in lowered quality printing. You only have to make the proportions the same as an 8x10. In other words one side needs to be very close to 80% the length of the other side. For instance a 2560x2048 picture has the same proportions as an 8x10 and should be able to be printed at 8x10 without cropping or losing quality by reducing the size.

It can be a trick to get the picture you want with the correct proportions.

drdan said:
You do not have to make you picture 8x10 inches, that would generally result in lowered quality printing. You only have to make the proportions the same as an 8x10. In other words one side needs to be very close to 80% the length of the other side. For instance a 2560x2048 picture has the same proportions as an 8x10 and should be able to be printed at 8x10 without cropping or losing quality by reducing the size.

It can be a trick to get the picture you want with the correct proportions.

drdan, I never attempted a 8x10. All I wanted was a simple 4x6 :)

In that case one side needs to be .666 the length of the other. so 2560x1705 should make a 4x6 without cropping. I think the bigger the picture file the more likely you are to get a good print.

drdan said:
In that case one side needs to be .666 the length of the other. so 2560x1705 should make a 4x6 without cropping. I think the bigger the picture file the more likely you are to get a good print.

Thanks drdan. I shall try 2560x1705 and let you know the outcome.

The exact dimensions aren't important, only the proportions. If a better crop would be 1950x1299 that still preserves the ratio as 1299 is .666 the length of 1950. When cropping for for a particular ratio I usually have to go back and forth and keep doing calculations until I get within 1% of the ratio I need with as close to the crop I want as I can.

drdan said:
The exact dimensions aren't important, only the proportions. If a better crop would be 1950x1299 that still preserves the ratio as 1299 is .666 the length of 1950. When cropping for for a particular ratio I usually have to go back and forth and keep doing calculations until I get within 1% of the ratio I need with as close to the crop I want as I can.

:bounce: Wish life was easier!! :D

Most reactions

Back