No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.themodernmutt.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
....to Shutterfly.

Shutterfly Acquires BorrowLenses - MarketWatch

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Oct 24, 2013 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Shutterfly, Inc. SFLY +0.18% , the leading manufacturer and digital retailer of high-quality personalized products and services, announced today that it has acquired BorrowLenses, the premier online marketplace for photographic and video equipment rentals. BorrowLenses's Founders, Max Shevyakov and Mark Gurevich, will join Shutterfly Inc.

I'm happy for BL because I'm sure their payroll just went up, but I have to say, money isn't everything but reputation is.

I personally will never deal with Shutterfly, and since they now own BL, I will never do business with them again either.

Companies like Shutterfly are whats killing the photography industry.

How is Shutterfly, and companies like Shutterfly, killing the photography industry?

How is Shutterfly, and companies like Shutterfly, killing the photography industry?

They cheapen products, and undercut professional photographers. Why should anyone pay for a wedding album when they can buy the disc and "create their own" on Shutterfly? Or even worse, use their iPhone photos?

Nothing is worse than working your ass off trying to sell your product, just to show up at the reception and see your bride's guest book made with your photos that were printed using swiped screenshots.

Nothing is worse than working your ass off trying to sell your product, just to show up at the reception and see your bride's guest book made with your photos that were printed using swiped screenshots.

Was the guest book made the same day as the wedding, from wedding day images?
Expect any images you put online to be stolen. Even if you put a big watermark right through the middle of the image.

Most retail photography clients have no clue what copyright is or how it works, and many think if an image is online it's free for the taking.

It doesn't matter, it was an example.

Shutterfly is a Walmart of the photography industry and they are part of its demise.

Smiley_La_by_Mirz123.gif
DAMN YOU INTERNET!!!! (*shakesfist*)

Because of you things change!!

I dunno, I can think of worse things.

From that article in the OP:

""This acquisition gives Shutterfly a presence in the rapidly expanding sharing economy. We now have a greater ability to diversify our revenue streams, reduce fourth quarter seasonality and improve upsell and cross-sell opportunities among our family of brands," added Housenbold." (boldface mine)

Sharing economy...

Oxymoronic, or just...moronic???

""This acquisition gives Shutterfly a presence in the rapidly expanding sharing economy. We now have a greater ability to diversify our revenue streams, reduce fourth quarter seasonality and improve upsell and cross-sell opportunities among our family of brands," added Housenbold." (boldface mine)

Sharing economy...

Oxymoronic, or just...moronic???

With that sort of thinking would prostitution be considered 'sharing economy?'

Photography is not the only industry affected by new technology. How many of you buy off the Internet because you can get a better deal than a local store? Ebay? Amazon? The sign of a successful business, photography or otherwise, is their ability to adapt and profit despite adverse market conditions. It is a fool of a business person that blames others for their inability to adapt and lack of foresight.

Photography is not the only industry affected by new technology. How many of you buy off the Internet because you can get a better deal than a local store? Ebay? Amazon? The sign of a successful business, photography or otherwise, is their ability to adapt and profit despite adverse market conditions. It is a fool of a business person that blames others for their inability to adapt and lack of foresight.

Well, revisit this thread when a client refuses to buy your custom designed album and only wants "a disc" so that they can go create their own for $20 on shutterfly.

PhotoWrangler said:
Well, revisit this thread when a client refuses to buy your custom designed album and only wants "a disc" so that they can go create their own for $20 on shutterfly.

But wait...this WAS, ahead of time, on paper-and-in-ink-with-siggies, a $1,200 6-hour shoot with all images to be delivered on-disc to a cheapskate client, right?

You think we haven't run into that before? Thats just business. But we dont blame anyone else. We are responsible for our own successes and failures. We will stand or fall by our own hands, not by someone elses. I refuse to blame others for MY lack of business abilities. The few successes i have are because i took responsibility for my own actions and worked hard. If someone wants to feel better by blaming their failures on someone else, thats their business. I wont though.

Synergy is key to diversifying the quarterly projections of profits of the sharing economy market paradigm.

That's usually symptomatic of an ineffective selling approach.

Do you pre-qualify your client prospects, and refer potential clients who don't qualify to other photographers?

Most reactions

Back