Bottom feeding wedding photographers should be flogged

I can see both sides of this issue.

If it hadn't been for a friend willing to do me a favor by offering "cheap" work, I would have no wedding photos at all. In all honesty, I've seen much better work, but I am happy to have the photos she took and happy that she was willing to give us those memories. She has since improved greatly (and graduated with a degree in photography), but I think the photos reflect where my hubby and I were at that time...young and poor, but in love and making do. :)

We've since had real professional photos and love them, but I still greatly enjoy our wedding album and all that it represents.

I do respect and appreciate professionals, but there was absolutely no way I could have afforded it back then. In my case, the professional wedding photographers didn't lose a client because I couldn't have paid that much anyway, but using an amateur at least allowed me to have photos that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

So there's a different perspective for you. :)

I don't think anyone has a problem with that scenario.
But what if you had scraped together $600 to hire a lower end 'pro' photographer, and then got terrible results? That's the problem.

But what if you had scraped together $600 to hire a lower end 'pro' photographer, and then got terrible results? That's the problem.

I agree. I would be upset with that.

Exactly.

Steak dinners normally run $25 to $250. What do you expect at the $8 steak restaurant.

A high end Canon or Nikon Speedlight costs $300+. What do you expect for the $30 Ebay special flash?

If 3 professional mechanics say it's going to be $2000 or $3000 to replace your transmission, do you blindly go with the 4th guy who says he can do it for $500?

Care to buy a Rollex? I got a whole bunch right here for $25 a pop... How about a bridge?... swampland?... hedge fund?...

Buyer beware. Look at a portfolio. Ask for references. Shop around. Don't be a sucker!

Steak dinners normally run $25 to $250. What do you expect at the $8 steak restaurant.

A high end Canon or Nikon Speedlight costs $300+. What do you expect for the $30 Ebay special flash?

If 3 professional mechanics say it's going to be $2000 or $3000 to replace your transmission, do you blindly go with the 4th guy who says he can do it for $500?

Care to buy a Rollex? I got a whole bunch right here for $25 a pop... How about a bridge?... swampland?... hedge fund?...

Buyer beware. Look at a portfolio. Ask for references. Shop around. Don't be a sucker!

I actually think this is where most people FAIL...

wedding plans always seemed rushed and to be honest, people out there think if own a dlsr (be it a Rebel XT or D1s) that you are in some respect "a photographer" (and most people don't know the difference between those 2 cameras). However, it is also true that some of these people are mis-representing themselves, check craigslist... you won't find many links to portfolios on there. Take this place for example (1st listing on craigslist I saw) I apologize in advance if the guy running this is a member on here. http://www.phillipsphotostudio.com/gallery/6114993_jAjnt

they are claiming to be a studio... I dunno but those pics look like crap to me. People are paying not only so called photographers but places calling themselves studios good money because they have a website, even thought the pics don't speak to much talent. I'm a college photo student, I'm pretty confident my pics would be just as good if not most likely superior to these and I doubt I'd even try charging as much as this dude.

these are pics from a friend of mines wedding... I will expect nothing less when I finally get hitched. (a little on the artsy side but maybe thats just my style)

n22007182_34611815_7650.jpg

n22007182_34611812_6654.jpg

n22007182_33801281_2607.jpg

n22007182_33801277_1562.jpg

heres her website...
http://www.anneruthmann.com/index2b.php
now compared to the one i just posted above... this is worth the money IMO

When it comes to video I have done a good number of them. However, they have always been friends or friends of friends who have at least seen my work. Due to that not being my line of income I am always careful to explain how I am not professional several times over. That and the fact that since I am not a professional I basically give them my service as a wedding present.

However the equipment I use and know how to use... I would put up against the pros who video weddings. The only thing I would do different if I was in the buisness was to have two or three DCR-VX2100's rather then just one.

So I guess in my opinion it can go both ways. when I video a wedding they get much more then they pay for. I take off work as needed, I stay longer then most of the photographers (not all) and I work closely with the couple including use of stills as requested.

Still I see your point as I can see how some just see the dollar bills in front of their eyes linked to weddings. And if they have no self respect and lack talent that is an ugly recipe. And the worst part is you can't go back, weddings are once in a life time. (Well they are supposed to be anyway)

these are pics from a friend of mines wedding...

n22007182_34611815_7650.jpg

now compared to the one i just posted above... this is worth the money IMO

Hey, I can do THAT style...

catfocus.jpg

...it makes me sick to think that somebody is out there charging people money for this crap.

No comment, it's all been said and I aired my opinions. :lol:

I just want to share a though... no flogging, some may enjoy that. I hear caning with a 4-foot piece of bamboo works well, though?

Sabbath, next time I get married, will YOU be my wedding photographer? Love that stlye.. sheer mastery! :lol::lol:

Sabbath, next time I get married, will YOU be my wedding photographer? Love that stlye.. sheer mastery! :lol::lol:

Do I get to use your D700 for the ceremony?

I actually think this is where most people FAIL...

wedding plans always seemed rushed and to be honest, people out there think if own a dlsr (be it a Rebel XT or D1s) that you are in some respect "a photographer" (and most people don't know the difference between those 2 cameras). However, it is also true that some of these people are mis-representing themselves, check craigslist... you won't find many links to portfolios on there. Take this place for example (1st listing on craigslist I saw) I apologize in advance if the guy running this is a member on here. http://www.phillipsphotostudio.com/gallery/6114993_jAjnt

they are claiming to be a studio... I dunno but those pics look like crap to me. People are paying not only so called photographers but places calling themselves studios good money because they have a website, even thought the pics don't speak to much talent. I'm a college photo student, I'm pretty confident my pics would be just as good if not most likely superior to these and I doubt I'd even try charging as much as this dude.

Haha yeah people like Justin Phillips should stop calling themselves photographers and change it to snap shooter. None of his photos show any sign of photographic skill or knowledge. People like him all over the place. Just a bunch of people with cameras taking crap photos and representing themselves otherwise.

When somebody who shoots as well as Alleh does says something, people should listen... look at that portfolio Alleh has going on (Fashion & Advertising Photorapher).

When somebody who shoots as well as Alleh does says something, people should listen... look at that portfolio Alleh has going on (Fashion & Advertising Photorapher).

He/she does fair enough work, but the rest is frustrated mean-spirited gibberish. If I were to learn anything about photography from him/her, it would be by studying the work and disregarding the personality entirely. He/she has said nothing that has impressed me in any of his/her posts to date.

Most reactions

Back