Boudoir - do you think women prefer female photographers?

Kolander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'd like to know your opinions and experiences with this!

Hell yeah. Even maternity.

Based on my experience (and I haven't shot any boudoir in over twenty years).. I think that it is an individual thing. I think that a female subject might relax and be more comfortable, more quickly with a female photographer. But, if a male photographer is professional and friendly, and can quickly establish a good rapport with the subject, there is not usually an issue. Some women who are very shy might do better with a woman.. but again, it depends on the individuals.

As a male photographer, I think it is more about a comfort level for both photographer in this situation and the client. For me, First & foremost, I never do a boudoir or maternity w/o my wife (photographer) being present (don't need a law suit). Second, my concentration is more on the technical aspect of the image (lighting, composition, etc) rather then on the subject (my wife will concentrate on the subject and attend her needs at the moment as well as the scene trying to create). This shows our clients that I'm not there to stare at them but to do the job. And last but not least, I try to get these images done ASAP or at least have them covered during the setup - again, it provides comfort to the client and shows them that I'm not there as an observer but as a professional doing my job.

Professionalism is universal: female can go to male GYN and feel comfortable with his knowledge and approach to her, photography isn't any different.

As a male photographer, I think it is more about a comfort level for both photographer in this situation and the client. For me, First & foremost, I never do a boudoir or maternity w/o my wife (photographer) being present (don't need a law suit). Second, my concentration is more on the technical aspect of the image (lighting, composition, etc) rather then on the subject (my wife will concentrate on the subject and attend her needs at the moment as well as the scene trying to create). This shows our clients that I'm not there to stare at them but to do the job. And last but not least, I try to get these images done ASAP or at least have them covered during the setup - again, it provides comfort to the client and shows them that I'm not there as an observer but as a professional doing my job.

Professionalism is universal: female can go to male GYN and feel comfortable with his knowledge and approach to her, photography isn't any different.

I haven't done boudoir yet, probably won't ever...but you make an excellent point about having your wife along. I can imagine that 1 on 1 boudoir could be really awkward for both parties if there wasn't a lot of effort put into putting the client at ease. Your point about the OB/GYN is fantastic. I never thought about that as it relates to photography!

I haven't done boudoir yet, probably won't ever...but you make an excellent point about having your wife along. I can imagine that 1 on 1 boudoir could be really awkward for both parties if there wasn't a lot of effort put into putting the client at ease. Your point about the OB/GYN is fantastic. I never thought about that as it relates to photography!

Friend of mine says that photography, just like other businesses (Locksmiths, contractors, etc) should be licensed and regulated. Although it wouldn't necessarily eliminate all of the BS that exists in photography business today, it would at least put some sort of standard of professional conduct onto photographer.

I did my own. Outside that, I would have a female shoot me.
The GYN/OB relation doesn't work for me, since both are doctors, with a clear clinical intent, and the other is a photographer, who is taking images of a sexual nature. Very different IMO.

Physician (let's talk males) provides medical care as a knowledgeable professional oh his field. He, makes sure that the care/service is done w/in his scope of practice. That service might be a vaginal exam, clinical breast exam, digital rectal exam etc etc - all of which are w/in scope of practice of OB/GYN and are expected by the female patient if such exams are indicated. I'd feel a bit awkward going to dermatologist who would want to do a endoscopy on my just because; I'd feel equally uncomfortable going to my podiatrist and have him act as a dentist.
Photographer, who is hired for maternity and/or boudoir session is hired to provide service: discuss w/ the client what she would like, setup a scene, introduce model to the scene, setup the lighting, etc etc etc. He provides the service that he is hired to do w/in his scope of practice.
I am by trade wedding/event photographer (and blessed to be working with number of other studios in my area). I wouldn't even think of shooting maternity/boudoir/kids if my wife wasn't part of it: #1 its a liability for me to work w/ a female 1-on-1. I don't even meet with female clients 1-on-1 as an initial meeting: again its liability and we want our clients to not just know b/c they read on our website that we are husband/wife team but to actually see that IT IS THE CASE. #2 when I see a pregnant female I see a pregnant "bride" with bride being the optimal word; the vision that my wife has is different, she sees a pregnant female, understand her needs more: b/n the two of us (her vision of what image is) and my technical knowledge we provide final image that client wanted in the first place. But at the end of the day, clients don't see us as male photographer, female photographer, we are viewed as professionals who do the job that we are hired to do (the only reason why I know that is most of our clients are referrals, we keep in touch with everyone and we do get feedback).
There's no question about the fact that there are physicians who violate trust of the patients' as well as violate the patients them selves. There's no question that there are photographers who do the same. All of this is very unfortunate truth of the world we live in. As one of my professors says "Stay in role you're are playing: if you're a student, act as a student, if you're a lawyer act like one".

There's no question about the fact that there are physicians who vioone big class of violate trust of the patients' as well as violate the patients them selves. There's no question that there are photographers who do the same. All of this is very unfortunate truth of the world we live in. As one of my professors says "Stay in role you're are playing: if you're a student, act as a student, if you're a lawyer act like one".
I only wish my computer science professor acted like a professor lol, but then again we are all a big class of nerds. Sorry for getting off topic but your quote hit the nail on the head. I think regardless of your gender, if you are reputable, and show your portfolio, the photographer's gender shouldn't really be an issue. They are going to try to make thier subject feel comfortable as possible, and possibly better experience for everyone. I remember having a nude model posing for us during our art class, yeah she was cute, but in general people were concentrating on their work.

Last edited:
There's no question about the fact that there are physicians who vioone big class of violate trust of the patients' as well as violate the patients them selves. There's no question that there are photographers who do the same. All of this is very unfortunate truth of the world we live in. As one of my professors says "Stay in role you're are playing: if you're a student, act as a student, if you're a lawyer act like one".
I only wish my computer science professor acted like a professor lol, but then again we are all a big class of nerds. Sorry for getting off topic but your quote hit the nail on the head.

This prof I'm referring to is a super nerd him self. 6 master degrees and he's an active Lawyer - all that while teaching in Nursing school. "Stay in Role"

I've asked friends this and most would prefer a female. I'm split, I would probably be more comfortable with a female but I would pick someone based on their previous work first.

Based on my experience (and I haven't shot any boudoir in over twenty years).. I think that it is an individual thing. I think that a female subject might relax and be more comfortable, more quickly with a female photographer. But, if a male photographer is professional and friendly, and can quickly establish a good rapport with the subject, there is not usually an issue. Some women who are very shy might do better with a woman.. but again, it depends on the individuals.

I agree that it depends on the individual... but for me personally, I would never use a male photographer, and I *have* considered getting boudoir images done. (I just didn't do it because I'm not a cheapskate and I'm not going to try to talk someone's price down and it turned out the year I wanted to do it, we ran into some financial issues.) When I was looking around for a photographer I only considered female photographers.

It's NOT that I don't think that guys can do a beautiful job... but I, myself, Emily Rose, is very uncomfortable with the idea of posing like that in my underwear in front of a man who isn't my husband, no matter HOW professional they are.

Just the way I'm wired.

True again... plenty girls go to a male gyno... but once again that's something I, as an individual, refuse to do. I've canceled appointments before when I forgot to ask if the Dr. was male or female and I later found out I was set up with a guy.

So yeah... it really just comes down to the individual.

HOWEVER... I'm part of an all-women's, non-photography forum... Out of curiosity, I'm going post this question there and I'll let you know what they say. :lol:

The key is to make them feel relaxed. The first thing is to create a relaxed environment so put one some soft music, a lot of women like Barry Manilow... Next, since she won't be wearing much in the way of clothing you want to take your pants off, to put you on more equal footing. After that it should be smooth sailing.

...a lot of women like Barry Manilow.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who are shooting boudoir photos of? Carole Brady?

Trust me, if a straight man plays Barry Manilow for a boudoir session, they get an automatic 10 points for cheese factor.

Most reactions

Back