Boudoir Photos in Front of Window....

Nessy024

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys! Im a boudoir photographer! Check out Vanessa Julie Photography

Im going to Florida for a Boudoir-a-thon and rented a hotel with a beach view.

In my studio, I photograph with Nikon 35 1.4 and usually when I photograph in front of the window, the window is blown out but my lady is perfect.

In Florida I want to be able to see my client plus the beach in the background. Is there a way to do that without being a silhouette?

I also use an SB-700.

Off camera flash/strobes. Meter your camera for the bright background then setup the lighting for the same settings for your subject. Use a large diffuser if you want to replicate the natural light looks. By large, I mean like 4ft or larger :D

Off camera flash/strobes. Meter your camera for the bright background then setup the lighting for the same settings for your subject. Use a large diffuser if you want to replicate the natural light looks. By large, I mean like 4ft or larger :D
Agreed; I'd actually go a bit further and suggest your background be 1/2 - 2/3 stop BELOW key in order to avoid distracting highlights. I don't shoot boudoire, but when I want that sort of light, I have use a 50" Wescott SB which is great for upper-body portraits. If you want full-body, I'd look to a 72" or even consider stacking a couple of 32" one above the other. Out of curiosity, WHY are you shooting portraits with such a short focal length?

Hey guys! Im a boudoir photographer! Check out Vanessa Julie Photography

Im going to Florida for a Boudoir-a-thon and rented a hotel with a beach view.

In my studio, I photograph with Nikon 35 1.4 and usually when I photograph in front of the window, the window is blown out but my lady is perfect.

In Florida I want to be able to see my client plus the beach in the background. Is there a way to do that without being a silhouette?

I also use an SB-700.

Don't know. I'm a doc photog and not a set up photog.

But you have very nice, clean work...beautiful!

I did notice a problem in the boudoir shots on your web page. You do not adequately process out skin blemishes. A pimple-like spot on a breast rather detracts from the mood wouldn't you agree? There are other examples. Just spend some additional time of the skin.

I also use an SB-700.

As mentioned, you would need to meter for the background (I like the suggesting to under expose the background a little bit), then use flash to light up your subject.

A camera mounted flash fired directly at the subject can certainly achieve the balance you're looking for, but the quality of light won't be there, so the solution is use your flash to create soft directional light.

One way to do that is to get it off the camera and use some sort of modifier to soften it (increase the size of the light source), so an umbrella or softbox etc.

But since you will be inside a hotel room, it could very well be easier (and more effective) to simply bounce the light off of a wall/ceiling. When you bounce light off of a wall, the area that the flash hits directly, becomes the size of the light source, so if you keep the flash back and/or zoom the flash head to a wide spread, you can easily create a light that is larger (softer) than most softboxes or umbrellas.

Another thing you could do, is to put the flash outside the window and point it in, so that in the photo, it really gives the impression of natural light.

Either way, I would also suggest that you take some photos with your usual method. (window light). I would assume that most boudoir photos are viewed and enjoyed by the people who are in the photo, and as such, you don't really have to show the location clearly in the photo, because they will have memories of the location simply by viewing the photos. And hopefully the relaxed and happy feelings they have from simply being there, will show in the photos by their expression and body language.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back