Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife had been having some body image issues lately since the baby. She was finally feeling confident/body positive and wanted me to do some photos for her. She loves them, I think they are OK given the space we had and it resulted in someone wanting to do a paid shoot in the same fashion this up coming weekend. Its a friend of my wifes so she understands this isn't something I normally shoot but shes excited. Id like to get some feed back on how to improve so I can do better and make sure the lady this weekend is happy with the results.

To give you an idea of the space, the one window across the way that is clearly seen is North facing. The other is East. I had to shoot at 1600 ISO, f/2.8 and about a 50th. So the images are not tack sharp, a bit soft from me and the wife moving. I wanted to use my 24mm manual focus lens but its so dim, I couldn't see if it was focused or not which led to using my 50mm for auto focus.

TX_RoundRock_RegencyDellRanchApartments_p0547437_40_33744808_1_PhotoGallery.jpg

Im going to guess ill need to use my strobes which is fine. Are the poses decent? Is the composition ok? Should I find a wider lens? Where and what do I need to work on?

These are absolutely beautiful. I love the soft lighting, and I think the shadow depth of field does a great job of "showing without showing". The eyes look nice and sharp in the images where you can see them, and with great catch lights too. Really nice job.

All taken very nicely, but even with the BG blur it could be taken at a better angle I think.

I tried to talk to wife into moving all the baby stuff out of that nook and moving the bed over there but that was a hard NO hahahaha

Yeah, that blue thing... even out of focus it creates a blue blob, that stuff up there needed to go in a basket or something while taking photos. Watch the mirror, it's reflecting the door (I found with mirrors or windows that are reflecting something it's necessary to adjust the vantage point to get decent looking reflections - they're part of the composition).

The heel in #1 needed to be positioned a little differently so it's not sticking up off in the distance. The ones with her lying down are more flattering than seated; I'd think about trying the edge of the mattress so you don't get the subject sinking down and pushing her hips out. Think about arranging the fabric so you get nice folds, or not - notice where/how arranging the fabric creates lines, and think about arranging it to flatter her not to compete with her.

The hair - especially dark against fair skin and light color bedding, needs to be combed/arranged every time the subject moves, it's going all over the place. Which could work if it's arranged - it created a lot of dark lines and high contrast. I'd even rethink the dark nail polish; I like it myself but for a portrait, again the high contrast makes it stand out and makes for visual distractions. If that's a deal breaker, then think about how to pose the subject and the dark hair and nail polish and how to arrange fabric - notice the tones, the dark and light. If need be do a quick B&W version to see where the contrast is so it has better balance between the dark and light.

The ones showing her face are lovely of her. The background/vantage point needs to be rethought.

you lucky dog!
and these are actually really good
do NOT use a wider angle.
also experiment with looser and tighter crops just to see if you like it

you know i'm super critical but these are GOOD
a little blur is fine
don't be afraid to push up the ISO

Last edited:
the ones of her laying stomach down are the best ones, really work well with the face and EYES. other ones just don't have that "feel" you know of LIFE...

The others seem more apt to be bland advertisement photos of feminine hygiene products.

First of all, she's lovely. If she were available as a model, I'd shoot with her.

Second, I get the issue about body image. Having a baby changes your body. But she looks terrific.

Third, your work is fine. Lovely light, some great poses.

Okay, now let me offer some advice. Let's suppose you were a professional shooting boudoir or valentines day packages for 40 year old women who had 25 pounds too much and a C-scar--how do you deal with that? Recognize the body issues/concerns they may have (big biceps, possible double-chin, big thighs, stomach) and look to hide or minimize those. Poses #1 and #5 are perfect examples of how to do this. Also, emphasize to that model (I'm speaking generically now) that this also means she's got cleavage. So have her proper herself up in one of those poses to show off some cleavage. And to emphasize it, have her wear a small crucifix on a small chain which has the perverse effective of a flashing, neon arrow pointing to the cleavage saying "LOOK HERE!" Trust me, it never fails.

If your model has body image issues (thighs and stomach) then having the thighs face the camera or foremost (pose 3) makes her thighs look bigger. But having a little extra weight makes her calves look better and provides more shape. So that means don't have her seated with her but and thighs fully on a bed or chair (they'll look bigger) but maybe have her on the edge of a chair or bed facing the camera--her calves will have great form and curve and look lovely. Pose 2, probably a little bit of nerves plus holding the pillow/cloth tightly against her makes her bicep bigger than it is--which doesn't flatter her. Anything that extends her arms will make that bicep smaller and more proportionate. Pose 4 is a good example of if you're going lay your model flat on her back, what direction you want her facing. Other direction and you get double-chin. Frankly, I'd have her roll slight to one side (which will give her more cleavage and make her look bustier). If her legs are open, that would feel very exposed to her but from that angle you'd see nothing and that would thin her legs and hips. Here are a couple of other hints for poses: have her standing (on her toes), side profile but holding fabric (sheet, lace, whatever) in front and partially draping her side. Then if she throws her shoulders back what you get is a real set of curves.

Key point from this last paragraph: she's worried about her tummy, her thighs, her biceps. How those appear in pictures is totally up to YOU. How you pose her determines if she looks heavier or lighter. So look at poses that will not emphasize the thighs, will hide the tummy or have her laying on it, and straighten (or at least extend) her arms.

Did anyone notice that this is a ZOMBIE thread? .... 23rd of July 2018.

Worth resurrecting because the subject is drop dead gorgeous? :biglaugh:

Did anyone notice that this is a ZOMBIE thread? .... 23rd of July 2018.

Worth resurrecting because the subject is drop dead gorgeous? :biglaugh:

If you don't LIKE the thread or the pictures then why are you commenting on the age of the thread just to insult the Original Posters wife?

I do not think he is insulting the original poster's wife, but rather paying her a compliment when he refers to her as to her as being "drop dead gorgeous"... that is actually a compliment, not an insult.

And yes, this is an older thread. I saw it come up last night but I did not reply since it was indeed an older thread. But here I am responding to your comment, so I think I will make my own response. Of the shown photos ,my favorite is number 4. Normally I am not a fan of this pose, but in this instance I think it looks pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back