Boudoir type shoot? HALP

Multiple tips:

1. Not so sure about the chaperone. In some cases it makes sense. In other cases, it creates an audience, a model can become self-conscious. I know a lot of boudoir shooters have a female assistant but that's more to do with the comfort level of the model (who is usually a complete amateur doing this for the first time). If this model has shot boudoir before and is not a complete amateur, then have a chaperone only if you feel you need the protection.

2. Soft light is your friend. If there is any theme/genre out there that benefits from soft light the most, it's boudoir. Scrims and reflectors are critical.

3. Don't make this a catalog shoot (where you're trying to show off the lingerie). Instead, HIDE IT. Have the model wear a man's dress shirt. Have her peek out from under sheets. Peer around a bedroom door. Stand at a closet trying on a man's suit coat or tie (as if she's missing a lover and can smell his scent on his clothing).

4. Remove tags from lingerie. They tend to be long and white and really stand out.

5. Give the model direction on lingerie to bring. As a general rule: (a) tops and bottoms should match; (b) it should be lacey; (c) doesn't need to be exotic or expensive or even in great shape (b/c you can avoid the side that has a flaw). But it needs to fit and also shouldn't be tight (otherwise it will leave marks or she'll have 3 breasts or it will add a tummy/bump b/c the panties are too tight).

6. Print out some sample poses. Have her bring a bathrobe. Review the lingerie first and pick out options. Have her change in to something and put the bathrobe on. Sit down with the model before the shoot and go over them--get her reaction to your ideas, concepts, and what you think will work or won't. Talk about how you'll give her posing directions (modeling the pose, mirroring or literal instructions, etc.) Then shoot her while she's wearing the bathrobe and you see just a hint of lace. Then the bathrobe comes off.

7. Take a break 20-30 minutes in to it. Ask her what is working, what's unclear. Download a couple of shots to your computer and the two of you look 'em over. if you're nervous, you may have done something stupid like forget to reset the exposure compensation or the ISO. You may also discover some poses you want to reshoot.

She needs to bring a chaperone, for several reasons. One is personal: your friend trusts both of you, surely, but the chaperone takes away the need for trust, and makes that part of this picture just that much easier. But see below. A girlfriend is an excellent choice for her to bring, but she needs to bring someone she is comfortable with.

You need to talk, talk, talk. Tell her what you're doing and why. The chaperone can take on any jobs that require touching the model -- smoothing out hair, changing the drape of some article of clothing, moving a hand or limb a little, just so, whatever. If the chaperone can keep an eye on makeup and hair as the shoot evolves, that would be great -- you'll be thinking light and pose, and could miss the smudged eyeliner. So, +1 for a girlfriend.

You need to be able to demonstrate poses. This means that you need to spend a few hours taking extremely awkward selfies. Just go do it. You need to know how it feels when it's right, so you can describe it to her. You need to be able to demonstrate it with your own body "you need to stick your butt out more, I know it feels awkward and stupid, trust me".

Thanks for the tips! I wouldn't have thought of checking for the tag, the fit, etc.

Since this isn't your style (and thankfully it isn't!) why do it? Why not suggest somewhere else she can find a photographer?

How does your friend feel about this? I can't help but wonder if she thinks the guy she's dating has a friend that will do this for free or cheap, or something - why does she need you to be the one to do this? Especially if she's worked with other photographers in your area.

If you don't typically do boudoir shots but want to try it don't you think it might be better to hire a model to help keep the situation more objective and business-like and professional? How good a friend is this? I'm wondering if you could be seeing her at social occasions later on that could make for an awkward situation.

I wouldn't exactly learn by NOT doing it, would I? :)

Who knows, maybe after this shoot I'll decide that boudoir is my direction and I DON'T need a 400 2.8.... :confused: :sexywink:
(kidding of course)

Most reactions

Back