Bought a Fujifilm s3pro UVIR camera! (On accident...uhmm...)

figit090

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I bought the camera I did so because I wanted the Nikkor 35-70m f/2.8 pro zoom mounted to it, I'm a Nikon shooter and stumbled on it. I intended to resell the camera later, but now I'm not so sure! I overlooked the "UVIR" sticker on top completely before bidding :blushing: (like I said, I wanted that lens!). Assuming I'm correct, they all came with that little off-kilter sticker as the main way of telling it was the special UV/IR stripped model.

I'm going to pick it up now, hopefully it's all in good condition (or it's going back) but I was wondering, what are these worth today? I don't see many for sale anywhere, except a few listings for S5 Pro UVIR bodies on eBay and of course modified Canon and Nikon cameras. I do know this model cost less than the standard S3 Pro when it was released, but with supply and demand making this camera somewhat rare, who knows? do you?

If anyone knows of some good resources for IR/UV photography, I'd appreciate links! I'm going to google it but I figured I'd see if there's a particularly good resource for this somewhat specialized photography.

$front.JPG$inside mount.JPG$rear.JPG$top.JPG

Put an apochromatic telescope in front of it, mount the whole shebang on a good motorized equatorial mount, add some auto-guiding gear to normalize the tracking and go to town photographing nebulae. All of that gets pretty expensive quickly. Or, take it out during the fall colour season and have a go at fall foliage. Or, find a pretty girl, dress her up in gossamer, go to the forest and have a go. Basically you can photograph anything you want however don't expect to get normal vision colours.

You can put it in the classified, I'd give you a hundred or so for it.

Thanks Patrice, that does sound a bit out-of-budget right now, but I'll take a look at any and all options for this. $100 is a bit less than I had hoped to get, since this is more rare than the ordinary S3 pro selling for around $250, thank you though. Never hurts to offer, right? :)

It looks as though I'll have to spend some money on good filters to experiment with allowing different wavelengths of light in. this could get pricey.

Filters cost varying amounts depending on what you're aiming to do. An IR filter for a normal lens size (77mm) costs anywhere from $80 for a cheap 720nm to $120 for a cheap 850nm. Haven't a clue on the UV side.

If you're thinking of selling I'd try selling it on astronomy forums like iceinspace. Given how people spend extra money on IR sensitive cameras like the Canon 60Da because most emission nebula emit the Ha band which is near infrared, I'm sure you'll find a buyer.

Thanks so much to the both of you, I appreciate those tips! If I decide I could use the money more than the camera I might sell it. For what I paid I'm having a hard time thinking I'll let it go though, it's shooting some interesting images! I like what it does to plant life a lot.
I'll take a look at those sites too, though. :)

I'll give you $101 for it.

Most reactions

Back