Bought my first "L"! Compare to Tamron! w/ pics

Prophet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I went down to Roberts in Indy today. Went with my friend which is never good news. I went down with the intentions of buying the Tamron XS DiII 17-40 f2.8 Wide Angle. I had them bring out the Canon f4 17-40 L. I mounted both of them on the 40D. My friend took two pictures of me, trying to get them as close as possible. I looked at the pictures, even on the smallish LCD I could tell it was no contest. I told the guy there to put the Tamron back! Have a look. Just remember, this was Ap priority, nothing really staged, just ISO, point and shoot.

Canon 17-40 f4 L on a 40D f/4 ISO800 1/50 40mm
me_in_store_L.jpg

Direct Link: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/JonProphet/Digital Photog/me_in_store_L.jpg

SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD f2.8 ISO400 1/80 17mm
me_in_store_Tam.jpg

Direct Link: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/JonProphet/Digital Photog/me_in_store_Tam.jpg

Just for grins, my 4 1/2 year old goes.... "Daddy take a picture of that!" and points up. Wow, glad he pointed it out!

circle_center.jpg

-JD-

Last edited:
You're kidding yourself. That Tamron shot is focused on the arm closest to the camera, not the face. But I'm sure it made the salesperson's day. :)

Just to grab on ksmattfish's coat tails.... are true comparison would have had the camera mounted on a tripod with both lenses set to the same focal length, aperture, shutter speed, ISO and WB.

Congrats all the same.

Plus you're smiling in one of them, so there's that.

Who cares - you got a great lens. Happy Hannukah!

I was merely pointing out the difference in sharpness of the photos. Truth be told, the Tamron shot is soft, period. My buddy loves to shoot with AI Focus instead of single shot focus. Sharpest things in the picture is my shoulder seam and the sox logo on my hat! Still..... they were quick shots both using the same 40D using "similar" settings. Looks to me like the Canon focused better and is sharper, regardless. These weren't the only shots we took to compare, these two were the only ones that were on the memory cards.

While I agree, it should have been on a tripod, with f4 to f4 with the same shutter and ISO speed, you can still look at the difference in contrast, color and sharpness.

We'll see as time progresses how well I do with it.

-JD-

Last edited:
This is like those weight loss adverts where the person smiles in the supposed after picture. Its all mind games. I like the L glass just because you look happy :hug::

Just to grab on ksmattfish's coat tails.... are true comparison would have had the camera mounted on a tripod with both lenses set to the same focal length, aperture, shutter speed, ISO and WB.

Congrats all the same.

That's how I tested the two when I was looking at them back when I switched to digital from film. After comparing the two photos I walked away with the Tamron. It is still the only non-Canon lens in my bag. It has since been replaced with the 16-35 f2.8L and 24-70 f2.8L but it was just too good of lens to get rid of.

Enjoy the 17-40. It is a nice piece of L glass.

My Tamron 17-50 2.8 is the second most used piece of glass I own. The first being my 70-200.

The thing is a tack, AF is a little weird but I got used to it. It's my primary family portrait lens. Example here.

They're both great lenses, don't let these guys make you regret your purchase.

The Canon is built like a tank, and has the added benefit of working on a full-frame body if you ever upgrade.

Congrats on your purchase! Any new glass, specially quality glass, is a great investment and purchase.

I hope it brings you many awesome photos (which in turn you share with us!)

:raisedbrow::raisedbrow::raisedbrow:
:(:(:( :greenpbl::greenpbl::greenpbl:

I have to agree with mr kundalini. I am sure the less sharp pic you took with Tamron is because you used very different settings and focal length...

but still a L lens is a L lens :D congratulations!

Actually, they are both very good lenses and no one is scaring Prophet from purchasing an L lens. But a question comes to mind, aren't some of us Canon users going with the L lens just because it's a famous L lens? That, especially when another maker makes a comparable lens? Just curious about your thoughts.

Most reactions

Back