Box picture of the new Canon 7D

Does anyone know how soon after these announcements they're generally available? I've put aside the money for this sucker, but unless I can get it in-hand BY SEPT. 16, then I may forgo an upgrade and just rent a 5DII for the wedding I'm doing the following weekend.

Only Canon knows. It all depends on how much planning they have done and how fast they can get them into consumer channels.

Yup, definitely EF-S. This seems like a logical successor to the 50D, so why didn't they just call it the 60D? It seems like calling it the 7D is just going to add confusion to their previously consistent naming scheme.

Yep... full HD, but love the 100% viewfinder (yay!) :).

I didn't realise the 100mm f/2.8 IS was coming out. Darn! I was going to be content with the traditional 100mm. Sheesh. Looks awesome.

Yup, definitely EF-S. This seems like a logical successor to the 50D, so why didn't they just call it the 60D? It seems like calling it the 7D is just going to add confusion to their previously consistent naming scheme.

They're probably tired of people confusing that line of cameras with Nikon's D60, D90, Dwhatevers. It's bad news when your consumers have trouble differentiating your product from the competition's. The name change will make things a little more obvious.

And ditto on the 100% viewfinder. Thank goodness for that.

Well, Canon DID have the first D60. ;)

I was just about to get the 100mm f/2.8 too. :(

I am surprised that none or few of you didn't find the the extremely high megapixel sensor a bit too much for a 1.6x crop sensor. If it's true then I don't want to know the high ISO performance of that camera... They would probably have to make some extremely fast telephoto lenses if they want people to shoot indoor sports or whatever with that camera. Maybe a 70-200 f/1.8 IS :D

@ Hobbes - no one said it was, either. :) It's kind of an accepted thing that Canon would up the MP for consumer purposes. Sad, but you can't exactly change things.

That being the case, if they have managed to control noise, that should be interesting. The 50D had relatively the same amount as the 40D, but with some softening.

I am surprised that none or few of you didn't find the the extremely high megapixel sensor a bit too much for a 1.6x crop sensor. If it's true then I don't want to know the high ISO performance of that camera... They would probably have to make some extremely fast telephoto lenses if they want people to shoot indoor sports or whatever with that camera. Maybe a 70-200 f/1.8 IS :D
Technology is an amazing thing. It's yet to be seen, but if the 7D does have 18mp I'm sure Canon has done some masterful technological trickery and has it performing as good or perhaps even better than the 50D it will replace.

People panicked when they saw the specs on the 50D and a bunch of nay-sayers ran out and bashed the camera. As more and more people started buying it and posting their own results, low and behold the 50D was a peach and not the lemon so many had predicted.

I'm sure the same will be true here.

At least Canon finally upgraded their 100 macro to meet the Nikon's spec. It's going to be hella expensive though, that's for sure!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back