Photos OK to edit
Comments and suggestions appreciated..
1/80
F 7
100 ISO
34 mm FL
Shutter Priority
66645940.jpg

i don't like the child looking at the camera. it feels like the camera has intruded and interupted something he was doing privately.

meotter said:
i don't like the child looking at the camera. it feels like the camera has intruded and interupted something he was doing privately.

Thanks for the reply, meotter. The intrusion was real and he didn't like it.

BTW, what are your opinions on the technical aspects of the photograph? Is the composition passing the grade? How about the focus and lighting?

I like the angle you took with this photo. How you got down low to the ground. Its nice to see it as he was seeing it. Good job!!!

lighting is great, everything that can be seen is seen clearly, so the focus is good too, i think the angle is a little crooked (i.e. rotate cw a few degrees), nice texture on the ground etc.

it'd been neat if the ducks spelled out aflac or something, but otherwise, i think you did about as good can be expected with animals :)

why did you choose a shutter speed of 1/80? not that it's bad, but when you shoot in shutter priority, it's because you want something to happen in regards to motion i think? or was it just coincidence that you happened to be in that mode?

meotter said:
lighting is great, everything that can be seen is seen clearly, so the focus is good too, i think the angle is a little crooked (i.e. rotate cw a few degrees), nice texture on the ground etc.

it'd been neat if the ducks spelled out aflac or something, but otherwise, i think you did about as good can be expected with animals :)

why did you choose a shutter speed of 1/80? not that it's bad, but when you shoot in shutter priority, it's because you want something to happen in regards to motion i think? or was it just coincidence that you happened to be in that mode?

Thanks, meotter. I really appreciate your interest.

The angle is probably the illusion created from that the edge of the pavement which slopes moderately down into the water. If that edge was horizontal with the actual horizon, the boy and ducks would be in the water.

I usually shoot aperature priority and sometimes manual, but I've been getting movement from the reciprocity of a too slow shutter automatically being selected in conjunction with an unwanted high ISO. I was shooting with a kit lens (18-50) and I thought 1/80 would be enough to avoid camera shake and still keep a low iso and a moderate F-stop.

I haven't yet conducted any formal experiment to confirm my suspicions, but I'm thinking that my camera will automatically set the ISO to comply with a shutter/aperature combination.

i wonder if you had shot a little more left and perhaps a little bit lower, to eliminate the fake horizon if it would have removed the feeling of everything tumbling to the left on the "hill" :p

then again, you'd lose a lot of ducks. oh well...

i don't think i've ever noticed my iso changing based on my aperture or shutter speed, but different cameras do different stuff i suppose.

Most reactions

Back