Bracketing With D90

bc2292

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys i just recently got myself a D90. I've been attempting HDR shots but epic fail is all i've been getting lol. With the built in bracketing it only shoots like 3 exposures. And when i merge them together i'm not getting anything that looks good. What are some good subjects to shoot for rewarding HDR shots and any other helpful hints. Thanks ;)

You don't need to use the auto bracketing mode to bracket your shots. You could use EC (exposure compensation) in any of the auto modes, or you could flip the camera into Manual mode and just adjust the exposure yourself. Of course, it would be smart to use a tripod so the camera is in the exact spot for each photo.

Hey guys i just recently got myself a D90.
What did you have before...how much photography knowledge/experience do you have?

I ask because I think it would be a good idea to learn about exposure and what you can do with the camera (single exposure) before getting into something like HDR.

You don't need to use the auto bracketing mode to bracket your shots. You could use EC (exposure compensation) in any of the auto modes, or you could flip the camera into Manual mode and just adjust the exposure yourself. Of course, it would be smart to use a tripod so the camera is in the exact spot for each photo.

Hey guys i just recently got myself a D90.
What did you have before...how much photography knowledge/experience do you have?

I ask because I think it would be a good idea to learn about exposure and what you can do with the camera (single exposure) before getting into something like HDR.

But if i shoot manual mode you mean to adjust the aperture right not the shutter speed? And yea i usually use a tripod :)

I have been shooting with a D40x for like a year and a half and have somewhat decent understanding of all this but still a lot to learn lol.

Whenever i'd try and shoot with manual i wouldnt know from which F stop should i start at to go under and above

.......Whenever i'd try and shoot with manual i wouldnt know from which F stop should i start at to go under and above
Put the camera in P shooting mode and take a shot to get a baseline. Adjust from there.

Or (even better)...... use your meter in the viewfinder to zero the indicator. Adjust from there.

I always use bracketing on the D90 and set it for 1 to 1.3 stops apart. It seems to work well. Here's a few (mild) HDRs using that method and photomatix:

main.php

main.php

main.php

I only use 3 exposures for mine, they turn out just fine. Not everything looks good in HDR, do you have an example of what you shot? Sounds like you are not starting with a good image to start with. Also you usually have to PP even with HDR, are you using Photomatix?

I only use 3 exposures for mine, they turn out just fine. Not everything looks good in HDR, do you have an example of what you shot? Sounds like you are not starting with a good image to start with. Also you usually have to PP even with HDR, are you using Photomatix?

Here are my 3 exposures that i got from auto bracketing.

-0530.jpg

-0529.jpg

-0528.jpg

Maybe my issue is knowing what to shoot for it to look good in HDR
Noob FTL

Most reactions

Back