brand-fanatics and gear-heads (rant)

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I was setting up my tripod and camera for some long exposures on a busy street in the city recently, I was (of course) attracting some attention, some people just asking what I was doing, some wanting to be in the picture and some even thought they would be on TV :mrgreen: (guess the big lens shade, the somewhat more complicated tripod head and the large almost black ND filter mislead them in some way .. )

But one thing which really upset me was that I was approached
by people who only walked up to me to see my gear, realise it is not Nikon and then tell me they would not want to have it because Nikon makes the best cameras in the world, with a stupid smile to punch his face for.

And this is not the first time similar things happened. Why are there so many idiots in photography? I tend to look at the images people produce, as this is all which matters, and would expect this to be the same for anyone into photography.

Just something strange I realised in my local environment: It is only people with Nikons (and to some extent Leicas) looking "down" on others and aggressively telling them that other brands (Canon, Olympus, whatever) are inferior.
Don't get me wrong here, I do know many excellent photographers using Nikon. Just in my very local environment things seem very screwed up in that sense that there are Nikon-fanatics on one side (you rarely see them taking pictures, you hardly see any of their images but they keep telling you how great their gear is) , and people who love photography and go out shooting with their Canons, Olys, alphas and whatever.

[end of rant] Sorry, but this upsets me from time to time :mrgreen:

OMG.. I know exactly how you feel... you mentioned a few gripes of mine.

Nikon is pushed fairly heavily in my area. I used to travel to many camera shops in the area bulk purchasing used Canon equipment for resale (and personal use). I was always referred to by that "Canon" guy. I know they are joking but I kinda didn't like it. Especially if it sparked a discussion with someone in the store.

I also shoot with Leica and to some extent I find those people a bit easier to deal with. They internalize their feelings much like the Ferrari driver on the highway traveling below the speed limit.... nothing to prove. My observation is that they won't get into a discussion about equipment unless you approach them. I'm a bit different as I shoot with an Epson w/ attached Leica lens... some Leica people find that absolutely strange. I find it refreshing.

I actually have been approached by people who see tripods are archaic. One such fellow went up to me and said... ever heard of IS. I say why yes... but I wanna look more professional... hehehe lol.

Nikon people do just to P*** you off, Alex.

A suggestion: print out the word NIKON on some duct tape and tape it to your Cannon......then tell them it's a protype comming out later this year!!!! :lol: :lmao: :lmao:

Nikon is pushed fairly heavily in my area.

Over here Nikon and Canon have about similar market shares when it comes to dSLRs.. I would even say Canon has the lead. But as said, the Nikon-owners waste their time by boasting about their brand while the Canon-owners go out and do photography.

[EDIT: OK, since this line causes uneasy feelings with some people who took it out of the context of this thread: I am not generalizing here, I am just describing my local surroundings where it happens to be that way, I know that generally photographers of any brand can be like that.]

The Leica people over here are similar to what you mentioned. they boast only if you approach them, and by far less aggressive .. with them it is more the dreamy eyes when they talk about their brand ;)

Nikon people do just to P*** you off, Alex.

A suggestion: print out the word NIKON on some duct tape and tape it to your Cannon......then tell them it's a protype comming out later this year!!!! :lol: :lmao: :lmao:

Great idea ;)

I might just take a real Cannon and shoot them :mrgreen:

... again I have to say, this is all about my personal experience with friends, colleagues and the occasional strangers in shops and on the street. This is all not to be seen as a general statement regarding Nikon-shooters.

"If you were going to spend that kind of money on a camera, why wouldn't you get a Nikon? There's no way I would have paid 800$ for my Canon" --From a friend of mine after I bought my new camera (he uses a Canon p&s)

It's been years since I even noticed the brand names on my gear. It seems to make no difference in my prints, though.

It's been years since I even noticed the brand names on my gear. It seems to make no difference in my prints, though.

That is because you don't print the brand name on your print, didn't you know? ;)

I guess those people I got upset about don't even print anyway ;)

But as said, the Nikon-owners waste their time by boasting about their brand while the Canon-owners go out and do photography.
;)

I am hoping this statement is meant as a parody of the kind of silly self-justification that many of us practice.

Alex, I'm still curious as to why you care. I don't care at all what people think of my equipment and I don't care what kind of equipment they have. What possible difference could it make? I think you're worried about nothing.

I am hoping this statement is meant as a parody of the kind of silly self-justification that many of us practice.

If you read my posts in this thread word by word, you know that I was referring my observation in my close surroundings (mainly colleagues and other people i know). And with respect to those few people (about 5 nikon, 5 canon) I am afraid this is no parody or anything, but it is shocking reality.

For other people the situation might be inverted, with the Canon people being a pain. I am not taqlking about global averages, but just about my personal experience here in this city.

Which goes right to the point: If any track-record/reputation-based "snobbery" is justified, then it would be Leica, I guess. But I've never understood what justification there could be for thinking that a high-end Nikon is a professional camera and a high-end Canon isn't. :confused: As you say, it makes no difference in the prints...

Alex, I'm still curious as to why you care. I don't care at all what people think of my equipment and I don't care what kind of equipment they have. What possible difference could it make? I think you're worried about nothing.

that is why I put a smiley in there ... :mrgreen:

of course it does not hurt me deep inside, but it can be a pain if such people again and again try to draw you into which-brand-is-better discussions. I would like to talk with those people about photography (at least those which are not total strangers to me), but it seems impossible.

I think some of it has to do with Technology which DSLRs now fall under. People (at least here in the US) are obsessed with technology ( I should know as I work with a boat load of them ). Their cars, pockets, attache cases are full of that stuff. I know a couple of people that could have a discussion for hours on PDAs and cell phones. Another couple of co workers that could talk your ears off about Audio Video stuff.

I used to work for HP (Unix Enterprise side of the business). I can't tell you how many people would pull me aside to ask questions regarding printers, scanners, computers, PDAs and such. It got so bad that I would make sure my work badge was in my pocket before heading out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back