brand-fanatics and gear-heads (rant)

p.s. what do you shoot Alex?

I shoot Agfa ;)

friend_1.jpg

... oh, and there is some half plate and full plate cameras on my shelves as well.

OK, just kidding, those are all retired cameras, one even from before 1900, which I might reactivate one day if I find the time, but my active shooting is mainly Canon 35mm, both film and digital.

the whole class was amazed by my photography teachers holga. they were all like oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that is soooooooooooooooooooooo coooooool!

*snort* When I tell people I have a Holga among my cameras, they look at me like I have two heads. "Holga?" Yeah, a plastic medium format camera. It's fun to play with. I may just have to take it out soon to play with again.

I don't fall into the Canon vs Nikon debate here. I shoot Sony. But I run into the same thing from time to time. I get a lot of why sony? why not Canon or Nikon? I tell them that when I got it, the price was right, I am able to use my Minotla lens and by being familiar with Minolta's cameras, I'm already ahead on the learning curve. Now if I switched to Nikon, I would have to learn that camera not to mention buying all new lenses unless there's a converter mount out there somewhere. I tend to get some comments about how they didn't know Sony made a DSRL camera. To me, it's not the brand, it's the photographer. My area is dominated by Nikon users. The majority of the customers I get in my store are Nikon users. I do get Canon as well but it's mostly Nikon. If I ever switch platforms (which I am seriously considering for the near future) I'm still not sure who I would use. I get to check out both brands at work and I still can't figure out who I like better. I wish the owner would hurry up with his Sony application and get Sony in the store.

happened to me again today that i attracted a member of the my-brand-is-superior-club. I was just sitting there talking to someone. when he approached (since he could see I had a lot of camera gear with me, that made him curious) .. until he saw my neckstrap with the wrong brand name on it and his face changed from curious to .. well, cannot find nice words for it ;) .... and he walked away again.

part of this I personally could not see, since I was not looking in his direction ... but this was the way the person I talked to described it to me.

this is a silly world :p ... the downside is, that I did not take a single shot today... wrong mood or maybe just a lack of interesting things around me, the light was not really good either ... :(

It's going to be fun when I start walking around town with my pentax kit. I'm sure I'll get it from everyone I meet. "why would you choose pentax?" I do feel bad for people who dont understand that each brand has great selling points, and just because one brand seems great to you it doesn't mean I see their positives as positives. I'm waiting for someone to say I should shoot nikon or canon so I can use VR/IS lenses :lol:

and just because one brand seems great to you it doesn't mean I see their positives as positives.

Well actually I quite like this person's brand who approached me today ... I just did not like his attitude ;)

I like you gear Alex. As a fellow Canonite I know that it is a quality product that you shoot.

Does that help?

Most reactions

Back