brand-fanatics and gear-heads (rant)

I know exactly what you mean Alex. This sort of thing is all over the internet and it's irritating... but to experience it in "Real Life" like you describe must be even more annoying... that behaviour is really irrational; people don't normally wander up to your car window and say "You don't want one of these, you want a Ford", or approach you on the train just to say "Yeah I wouldn't use that phone... I only buy Samsungs". Photography may be a smaller niche but the idea of wandering up to someone just to criticise their equipment is really bizarre.

As for why you should care... well personally, I know I shouldn't. When this happens it doesn't make me question the value of my equipment or wish I had someone else's. But like I said, to me it seems so irrational... a little friendly competition between brand users is good, and comparing tests or reviews might be helpful to some... but to have someone go out of their way just to say "You have the wrong name on your camera", well yeah that's annoying. And like Alex says, often it isn't just the occasional person but lots of people a lot of the time.

This sort of thing is all over the internet and it's irritating... but to experience it in "Real Life" like you describe must be even more annoying...

Exactly, you cannot click those people away with your mouse pointer ...

people don't normally wander up to your car window and say "You don't want one of these, you want a Ford"

That is a good comparison and says it all :)

Why are there so many idiots in photography? ... looking "down" on others and aggressively telling them that other brands ... are inferior.

I'd have to agree, and not just about brand. I'm always talkative with other photographers I meet while shooting. Quite a few times other photographers act annoyed that I'm taking pictures in the same area that they are, as if their whole self worth is dependent on getting shots from that area, and I am somehow stealing from them by taking shots there as well.

I tend to shoot a lot by hand (composing, re-composing, trying different angles), and most of the hostility seems to come from people setting up their tripods and waiting for a certain event (sunset, usually).

It's usually in the form of me saying "hello, nice place to get a shot", and them grunting at me. :grumpy:

But as said, the Nikon-owners waste their time by boasting about their brand while the Canon-owners go out and do photography.

Isn't that a gross over generalization?

There are idiots in every group.

people don't normally wander up to your car window and say "You don't want one of these, you want a Ford", or approach you on the train just to say "Yeah I wouldn't use that phone... I only buy Samsungs".

But they will make snide comments if you are using the "wrong" computer operating system (Mac OS vs. Windows), or the "wrong" audio playback device (iPod vs. almost anything else).

Apple even exploits this in it's television commercials by showing the Mac as a cool, casually dressed young man, and the PC as an older, glasses wearing overweight guy in a tired suit.

Global marketing is all about image. Sell the "image", and make more $$$ (or Euros or Pounds Sterling, or...)

Isn't that a gross over generalization?

There are idiots in every group.

please read my threads fully! or read my reply to the traveler.

I said I am not generalizing at all. But I am just reporting my experience with my local people over here, where it happens to be divided in the ways i describe it. I have seen it on forums plenty of times
that things are the other way round, just locally within the reach of my peer group, things are as they are ...

I have two camera stores that I go to. My favorite (Lloyd's photo and digital in Manitowoc, WI), and one in Milwaukee whose name shall not be mentioned. When in the unmentionable store, i feel like a poor relation with my Zenit. The staff are Leica/Hassleblad/Nikon snobs of the worst sort. Don't they realize that a camera is just a tool and that make matters not?

well after reading online and speaking to photographers. i decided on a D80.
but still thought i would ask the shop owner what he reccomended... i told him i what i wanted to use it for etc, and wanted a good all rounder, just to see what he said.

first he recommended a Sony Cybershot W55 for £159
i told him i was willing to spend more for an SLR
he recomended a Sony Cybershot H5 £278
when i asked, "if money was no object what would you buy here"
... he showed me a Panasonic Lumix FZ50 £399

so it shows that its personal taste...

by the way i own a Nikon...
(RedDevilUK runs off quickly)

When I was setting up my tripod and camera for some long exposures on a busy street in the city recently, I was (of course) attracting some attention, some people just asking what I was doing, some wanting to be in the picture and some even thought they would be on TV :mrgreen: (guess the big lens shade, the somewhat more complicated tripod head and the large almost black ND filter mislead them in some way .. )

But one thing which really upset me was that I was approached
by people who only walked up to me to see my gear, realise it is not Nikon and then tell me they would not want to have it because Nikon makes the best cameras in the world, with a stupid smile to punch his face for.

And this is not the first time similar things happened. Why are there so many idiots in photography? I tend to look at the images people produce, as this is all which matters, and would expect this to be the same for anyone into photography.

Just something strange I realised in my local environment: It is only people with Nikons (and to some extent Leicas) looking "down" on others and aggressively telling them that other brands (Canon, Olympus, whatever) are inferior.
Don't get me wrong here, I do know many excellent photographers using Nikon. Just in my very local environment things seem very screwed up in that sense that there are Nikon-fanatics on one side (you rarely see them taking pictures, you hardly see any of their images but they keep telling you how great their gear is) , and people who love photography and go out shooting with their Canons, Olys, alphas and whatever.

[end of rant] Sorry, but this upsets me from time to time :mrgreen:

Grasshopper,

You must clear your mind of such thoughts caused by the comments of others to acheive a true state of photographic Zen. It is better to expose one frame of film rather than speak one thousand foolish words.

Photograhy is a spirtual act of capturing life, emotion and truth. The man that can capture a cricket in his hand is better off than the man with an empty cricket cage.

So calm yourself grasshopper, close your eyes, clear your mind and quietly chant Kodachrome...Kodachrome...Kodachrome. Bring photographic peace to your soul.

And if that doesn't work, smack em up side the head with a wet heavy camera strap! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Alex-

It's frustrating at times, but those who place more importance on equipment than images ... are those with crappy images.

It's all the same stuff. If you give a pro photog a similar level Canon or Nikon he/she will get the same shot. You cannot find a significant difference between a Nikon image or a Canon image all things being relatively equal.

In the old days of film only, Nikon was the 35mm SLR of choice (period). Nikon only made one level of lens and camera ... and that level was the best they could make. So to own a Nikon was a pinnacle thing .... it was a professional camera with professional lenses and that was all they made (the exception being the Nikkormat). Canon came in late into the professional arena with their F1 series, built like a Russian car ... while the Nikon was more like a German car.

But, today, in the digital world, there isn't any significant differences between Canon and Nikon. So the next time someone make the comparison state:

1) "Man, you are just stupid", not politically correct or enduring but it will make you feel good (just make sure your monopod is within easy reach)
2) Just ignore them and think "Man. you're just stupid", unless she is terribly good looking in which case you agree and get her phone number for a discussion over some late night drinks on what Nikon to purchase.

There is probably a third option ... but I'm kinda stuck thinking about #2 ... lol

What's funny is that I belong to a somewhat loose and random association of photogs here in Los Angeles and those with Canon equipment are the better photogs ... and I think some of the Nikonians kinda wish they had started out with Canon.

Gary

by the way i own a Nikon...
(RedDevilUK runs off quickly)

heeee! I said more than once this is not a rat against the nikon user per-se ... just those around me who behave like total nerds ;)

2) Just ignore them and think "Man. you're just stupid", unless she is terribly good looking in which case you agree and get her phone number for a discussion over some late night drinks on what Nikon to purchase.

unfortunately those nerds which I encountered are all male!! Female photographers are much less prone to this mental problem.. it seems from my personal statistics ;)

So calm yourself grasshopper, close your eyes, clear your mind and quietly chant Kodachrome...Kodachrome...Kodachrome. Bring photographic peace to your soul.

hmm.. liking colour contrast I accidentally was chanting Velvia, Velvia ;)

And if that doesn't work, smack em up side the head with a wet heavy camera strap! :D :D :D :D :D :D

will use the tripod instead ;)

I am amazed how much reaction my little short-lived rant caused ;) :)

unfortunately those nerds which I encountered are all male!! Female photographers are much less prone to this mental problem.. it seems from my personal statistics ;)

Damn ... well that sorta frees my little cream cheese brain to reflect on option (3).

Gary

hmm.. liking colour contrast I accidentally was chanting Velvia, Velvia ;)

will use the tripod instead ;)

You are learning Grasshopper. Velvia will work if it clears you mind.

When you can snatch the lens cap from my hand, you will be ready to leave the photographic temple and go out into the world. Remember, only use your tripod for good.:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back