Brand New - Photo Critique

HaydenS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Brand new to photography - just got my first camera (D40) three weeks ago.

Took this picture for a Still Life contest between me and 7 others on a car forum for fun.

Let me know what you guys think and I'd love some criticism or help - - please remember I'm brand new though!

ClockPhotoshopped.jpg

Thank you!

(I also have a photo entered in the September photo contest but I won't tell you which number it is so that I can see how I fair on the merits of my photo alone)

I should also add that I'm only 17 years old and still in High School.

Thanks

Hayden.

Hi! I'm really new to photography too, so I don't know how much pull of an opinion I have, but, I really like your photograph, if it was mine I think I would do it in black & white and bump up the contrast. That's just my opinion though!

It's nice to hear of a younger person on here, I'm 19 and just got a dslr a few weeks ago! Can't wait to see more of your pics!

(also, on a side note, I have noticed that if you actually post the picture in your thread/post/whatever it's called you will get a lot more comments on it)

yea i don't think i can because I don't have enough posts

but i don't know about the B&W suggestion - I really liked the gold of the clock so I left it in color.

I really like this shot. I've taken it and messed around in photoshop with saturation/contrast/colors and made it B/W also and so far I like the original the best. Keep up the good work.

Looks really good, but slightly overexposed. It kind of works, though....
I'm sure you'll do well with this...

Cool to see more young ones. I'm 18 myself.

Hey, and welcome to all you recent arrivals.

I like the shot's composition, it's pretty straight-forward, but it works. For my taste it's a little too saturated, but that' a matter of personal preference. I prefer my images somewhat de-saturated.

Conceptually I have a tough time with a clock as a still-life. We all look at clocks, and see it frozen, yet we know (or assume) that it is actually changing slowly. If I look again in three minutes, it will look a little different.

Good work though, keep posting.

Brand new to photography - just got my first camera (D40) three weeks ago.

Took this picture for a Still Life contest between me and 7 others on a car forum for fun.

Let me know what you guys think and I'd love some criticism or help - - please remember I'm brand new though!

ClockPhotoshopped.jpg

Thank you!

(I also have a photo entered in the September photo contest but I won't tell you which number it is so that I can see how I fair on the merits of my photo alone)

I should also add that I'm only 17 years old and still in High School.

Thanks

Hayden.

believe me i understand about critquing. LOVE the subject!!! Could have centered it a little to the left tho. THat's it really! that's my critque.

i really dig that pic the detail in the clock makes it

*cough (black and white) *cough

oh, bump up the contrast, and play with the levels some when you do

i can tell you used a flash on this though, some of the details are slightly blown, and the focus is soft. can i ask your settings?

and since you said your photos are ok to edit, i am. will have up in a minute.

fixed color version:
Clock.jpg

allright, heres the deal with black and white. you cant do it with this pic. you lose way to much detail. see all the lines in the wood that give it character? goes flat gray. not good.

I think the white-balance is out of whack the exposure is off and to boot it is a picture of someone else's art. I think it ranks right up there with taking a picture of someone's painting and entering it into a contest as a great photograph.

Most reactions

Back