Brand new to photography, some shots at the zoo today, feedback appreciated :)

Devilok

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone:

I am brand new to photography and took my new camera out to the Detroit Zoo today on my day off to try and get some practice. I know these are not good, and most likely everything is wrong with them, but figured I could use some helpful tips and that will help me learn and hopefully get better over time. Thanks for any input you can give...

Attachments

• $Chimp 2.jpg
    $Chimp 2.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 119
  • $Chimp 3.jpg
    $Chimp 3.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 120
  • $Chimp and mom 2.jpg
    $Chimp and mom 2.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 124
  • $Chimp.jpg
    $Chimp.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 121
  • $Iguana 2.jpg
    $Iguana 2.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 117
  • $Rhino 2.jpg
    $Rhino 2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 127
  • $Rhino.jpg
    $Rhino.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 131
Welcome to the forum...
OK, some quick thoughts... Since you are just starting out avoid manual mode until you understand the exposure triangle. You are doing more harm than good. The chimps should have been all shot at a higher ISO so you could have a higher shutter speed. VR won't help motion blur from the subject moving and some of these the shutter is just too slow. If you have decent light, Shoot in aperture mode to get your desired depth of field, find "auto-iso" in you menu, set it to min 1/500th shutter and max of 800 ISO. This will greatly increase your sharpness. Once you have a handle on that you can start to figure out what you need for shutter speed in various situations. Others may disagree, but this is the easiest way to start out. Find a stationary subject and try the three metering modes and also try bracketing to help you understand exposure and exposure compensation... Sorry I hope this doesn't sound mean or crass... just trying to help

Also I personally prefer wildlife to be in color. Occasionally black and white works...

Thank you for the advice I will definitely take what you said and put it into practice. While trying to remember what I have learned so far I completely forgot about my ISO settings lol and had left it at 100 the entire day :( thank you for the insight I really appreciate it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sorry my phone double posted

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back