Brand new to the site, advanced amateur photographer

ChiPhotog6865

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,
I just found this site and am looking forward to getting some great advice and enjoying other photogs photos. I've been taking photos seriously since 2008 and started out with a Canon Powershot S5IS advanced point and shoot and worked my way up to a DSLR. I now shoot with a Canon 50D and a couple of lenses. My most treasured lens is my Canon 17-40L. My favorite kind of photography seems to be nature/outdoor/street scenes/architecture. I'm not a potrait/people type of photographer and if I shoot people I prefer to do it in an abstract way with street photography, capturing people doing everyday things. I would also say Im an avid traveler and my wife and I love to travel abroad. My full time profession is working a government job in an office 5 days a week but my love for international travel and photography is a passion and something I will do full time when I can retire in about 12 years.

We are about to head to Europe this Fall for two weeks and I've decided this time around I'm going to leave my heavy DSLR at home and all the equipment and instead just go with a new Advanced Point and Shoot. I'm still researching and it's looking like the Canon SX50 HS is a top choice along with the Canon SX700 both have the reach of at least 750mm which is what I would need for my close ups of the architecture shots I want to get and the quality of shots from both of those cameras are pretty darn good.

I'm looking forward to making new connections here and learning more about photography from fellow photogs.

Hello!

Just a quick note: the XS50 seems to have RAW and higher ISO capabilities, as well as a tilting screen, while the SX700 has a lower cost and higher MP count. Good luck with your decision.

Hello and Yes waday!! That is what I've been trying to muddle through between the two. I like the fact the XS50 has RAW because right now I shoot exclusively in RAW and find that I do very minimal post processing in LR3. I've been shooting RAW for the last few years now and have not looked back. I am going to have to go into a store and hold both in my hand to get a feel of them. I love the fact the SX700 is so small it can fit into my pocket, but what I worry about is it being so small that might be a problem with getting a good grip on it. I think I'm leaning toward the XS50 at the present moment. It's about $100 more but it might be worth the extra money to have the RAW capability.

IMO, it would be worth the extra $100 for both RAW and the tilting screen.

Then again, I'd probably go for an S120.

IMO, it would be worth the extra $100 for both RAW and the tilting screen.

Then again, I'd probably go for an S120.

Yes I agree, secretly I want both of them!! But think my wife wouldn't think that is such a good idea.. LOL.. she knows I'm a camera geek but the purpose of going with just one advanced point and shoot is to travel lighter and for it to be easier. I hate decisions like this!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back