Breaking My Heart

selmerdave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, if only I had the thousands saved up (*and* disposable) to buy up all of the heartbreaking deals on film equipment that I'm watching go by. Just in the last two weeks locally:

Nikon F3 w/motor drive
50/1.4
105/2.5
Vivitar Flash
$300

and then today
Mamiya RZ67
150mm lens
waistlevel viewfinder
rotating 220 back
$400

I suppose I can't cry too much, I did get my LX for $150 (and had to pass on a second for the same price). I wonder how I'll look back on having to pass these up a few years down the road.

Dave

When you concentrate on specific high-quality gear, you can miss out on a lot of fun due to mind-set and available funds.

Why not consider the photographic 'experience' as also being something you can purchase [especially if money is scarce.]

Street photography with an old rangefinder is one such experience. I recently bought a clean, fully-functional Argus C-4 for $6.99 + shipping. There's lots of the old 'Russkies' around, many with good lenses -- Fed, Zorky and Kiev. They're cheap, sturdy and fun to use. And you could do much worst than picking up a Yashica Electro GSN -- killer lens and a great street rig [The battery problem is easy to solve.]

:stun: You got an LX for $150? And there was another one at the same price? I'd have to pay more than that to get an MX in decent condition... That's it, I'm emigrating right now. :lol:

And Torus, stop telling people about great stuff like the Yashica - I hold you personally responsible for all the times I've been outbid :D

P.s. selmerdave, you think it was bad missing those deals? I just watched an unused MZ-5n (the AF Pentax with the old-style shutter speed dial) go for... £11 ($20)... the seller would only accept local pick-up. Ah, the pain... :sad anim:... but I can be happy for the winning bidder... actually no, just jealous :lol:

OK! OK! I got the message.

I won't even mention the C---- that's similar to the Yashica. You know, the one that has the sensor right above the front lens element and can be run in manual mode and has parallax correction and . . . ;-))

I sold my RZ Pro II system in 1999 for $18,000. It had two bodies 6 lenses, 5 backs and a number of accessories. Glad I didn't wait to sell it. I thought I took a bath back then!! I picked this little 645E system up last month for $655. I bought it in pieces. Body, 80 and 45mm lenses were new. The 150mm was just like new except for a tiny bit of wear on the bayonet mount. It was the only one of the three lenses that had ever been mounted on a camera. The camera still had the protective sheet over the shutter. I thought that was a steal.

645system.jpg

Torus34 said:
OK! OK! I got the message.

I won't even mention the C---- that's similar to the Yashica. You know, the one that has the sensor right above the front lens element and can be run in manual mode and has parallax correction and . . . ;-))

Excellent, let there be no mention of C----, M------, O------, R----... only Leica make rangefinders, there are definitely no bargains to be had on Ebay, nothing to see here people... :lol:

fmw said:
I thought that was a steal

:shock: I just checked the going price over here for a used 645E and 80mm... you got one with three new lenses for $650? That couldn't have been more of a steal without using a gun! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back