Bricks

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just finished processing this one, yesterday we were out and about most of the day and this is one of my favourites, I took it while I was sitting in the car waiting. It was late in the day and the sun had pretty much set, the light was subtle but nice.
Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks for taking a look!

Pixel, I've got nothing on this one. But I sat here staring at it for a while, so I find it interesting. I think it is the pattern and lines.

Thanks Ron, that's cool, I think this one is about slight ambiguity of the lines/pattern and the textures so interesting works :)

I like this and the way the composition plays with the eye and mind. It looks at times like the outer egde of the brick wall points out and then at times it looks like it it points in and to the back. Cool shot. I also like the textures.

Thanks Riscenvan and welcome to TPF :) I love random stuff!

Thanks Carol :) All the things I like too! If you like how it messes with the eyes you should enjoy this one, it feels so odd to look at for me somehow, very uncomfortable.

I agree. I think the second shot plays with the eye even more than the first.

Cool shots. And fine bricklaying work too. Your eye for details and slivers of the world is getting more refined, rapidly. I'm always impressed by your growth and development as a shooter.

Wow, thanks so much Derrel :)

Monday morning coffee bump ;)

The bricks are really messing with me especially in the second one. My brain wants to believe in weird inverted brick shapes to make the corner into an "innie." I don't think I'd like the texture on the sides in real life but I have a darned hard time looking away from your picture.:thumbup:

Thanks C, I'm 100% with you on all counts, when I was in the car I almost didn't shoot this because of the pebble wall treatment, even on the building I don't like it, it is so early 70's and "kitschy" to me.

I'm glad I did shoot it because for me it becomes almost invisible and the lack of depth in it is a great element that gives no visual cues to how the bricks should go, I think it actually enhances the effect. My eye gets trapped in the bricks trying to rectify what I'm seeing, I like that :)

There are things to like here, it's well balanced, there's echoed textures, there's a subtle play of light which is appealing. There's a bunch of technical stuff that I could rattle on about, all of which is good. There's some interesting optical illusions going on, as well.

Ultimately, though, I am left with a big "why? what's it all about?" There's lots of paintings of this sort, but I feel like they're mostly about some combination of technique, commenting on the nature of art, and then copying one another because now it's a genre. I don't get that from this at all, this strikes me as "a cool thing I saw".

At first I thought you might have some pics of me playing basketball.

But these are much more interesting. Really nice, odd, interesting. Found myself staring at it trying to get wrap my brain around it.

"nothing to make you wearier of yourself than artfulness when you were 10 years younger"

fromn a letter William Gaddis - American novelist
Hi Lew, I went and looked that quote up and read about it and I need to ask for a little more here, there are a couple ways I can interpret that taking it in the context that it was originally written and you know what they say about assumptions ;)
There are things to like here, it's well balanced, there's echoed textures, there's a subtle play of light which is appealing. There's a bunch of technical stuff that I could rattle on about, all of which is good. There's some interesting optical illusions going on, as well.

Ultimately, though, I am left with a big "why? what's it all about?" There's lots of paintings of this sort, but I feel like they're mostly about some combination of technique, commenting on the nature of art, and then copying one another because now it's a genre. I don't get that from this at all, this strikes me as "a cool thing I saw".
Thanks Andrew, as for the why I think you have nailed it, I'm intrigued by extreme simplicity but puzzled by the blue square on a white canvas type shots, I strive for the simplicity but with something extra.
At first I thought you might have some pics of me playing basketball.

But these are much more interesting. Really nice, odd, interesting. Found myself staring at it trying to get wrap my brain around it.
Ha nope you are safe! Don't feel bad, my only memory of basketball was way back in school in gym class, I got exactly one basket in game.... in the wrong end... I stuck with hockey and baseball after that lol!

Thanks :) I'm glad it's grabbing people's interest and attention even if it is odd... or is it because it's odd? ;)

Most reactions

Back