bride wants other photogs photos in album

I'm trying to think of some way of these images can be singled out as not mine when the album is being shown to people in the years to come...

Consider putting a stereotypical snapshot-style white boarder on these images, keeping the size and format consistent throughout the book. Of course, put a byline too.

And yes, I would charge a "file prep fee" for each image. This might even help in keeping submitted photos to a minimum.

-Pete

Thanks for the helpful advise guys! got some ideas here too if in case this happens to me. I myself shoot weddings and design an album too.

Thanks everyone! I've decided to make a "Guest Photos" section at the back of the album if there are a lot of images to include. If there are only a few, I'll slip them in with my photos, but they will have a tagline in small type saying "photo submitted by ..." I'm also going to require that I need permission from the photographers to reproduce the photos, which can be emailed to me from the photographers as long as they include their name, address, and phone. I will also charge a small file-prep fee per image for any submitted photos. I think that will cover all of my bases nicely. Great! Thanks again.

Yup I like that too. Plus this prepares you better for next time it happens. I had a photo book made for my wedding album and I wouldnt even consider asking my photographer this. But every bride is entitled to her quirks I guess.

Do absolutely nothing to them but credit to the shooter, if the bride wants them in tell her your not responsible for them and its down to her judgement if they are included. Do you really need the extra work of someone elses snaps in your bespoke album. H

You really should get written permission from the copyright owners (the guests) to use their photos in the album.
You can prepare the document and have them sign it. The permission document is known as a use license which, hopefully, you already have because you provide a use license to all your clients for the use of your photos.

There is no valid legal document known as a copyright release, though a court could possibly construe that phrase as meaning a copyright transfer, which is a valid legal document, if executed properly.

Copyright, once transfered, no longer belongs to the original copyright owner, and now belongs to the new copyright owner.

To bride & groom:

The wedding album I design for you is a well planned, photographed part of the our agreement. Adding guest images is not part of the plan. If, for a fee, you are interested in my planning and producing a "guest book", I would be pleased to do so.

+2

Also, I would arrange all the guest photos in more of a collage manner rather than reportage style. And do so at the end of the album in a section clearly tabled "guest photos"

Thanks Derrel, good point. What does everyone think of me charging an extra fee-per-image that's not mine? My thought is that I will have to invest photoshop time into color correcting, cropping, etc. of these guest images.

Tell them you'd be happy to put a guest section at the end. Remind them that time and money goes into designing and editing the book and photos, even where guest photos are concerned. It'll be an additional charge of $x.

I would not. To much time and energy already exist by creating the album, why make it harder on yourself by adding other people's work to your creation.

Suggestive answer: I would tell the bride from a legal standpoint that by adding other people's work (amateur or not) could result in copyright infringement.

Did you mean "suggested" ?

Does it matter? Didn't know I was in a grammatically focused forum...my apologies.

sug·ges·tive/sə(g)ˈjestiv/Adjective

1. Tending to suggest an idea.
2. Indicative or evocative

Indeed you are. Suggestive doesn't work unless you state of imply what it is suggestive of.

what about instead of printing the guest shots, why not just have a typical sticky-sleeve in the back of the book so the b+g can put the guest photos in themselves. that way it has absolutely nothing to do with you, and the photos can still "belong" to the original photographer.

just a thought...

Just a different perspective...if you were a plumber who was contracted to replace someone's kitchen sink, this would be like the client saying:

"Hey, do you mind if my husband and a couple of his buddies help you install that sink?"

I agree completely with the "Snapshots by Guests" section at the back of the album. Personally, I would leave a few pages completely blank and let the bride glue down some 4x6's herself scrapbook style if she wants to. I have a feeling that trying to secure releases and editing these photos would be more trouble than they're worth.

I have a feeling that trying to secure releases and editing these photos would be more trouble than they're worth.

I agree, and I actually like that it will be difficult to get the photo releases. This will be the bride's job, not mine. So it will probably make her forget about wanting the photos in the album, while still being a perfectly legitimate and legal request for me to make. So in the end, they can't hold it against me, and I'll probably not have to put guest photos in - a win-win!

Most reactions

Back