Bright Patches of light

Lostfiniel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was at a nearby garden last weekend experimenting with different things. I had tried going early in the morning for better light, but I am a night person and I couldn't get up in time. I ended up trying to shoot in less than ideal light and continually found myself frustrated.

I messed with the aperture value, iso and shutter speed and couldn't find any good combination that would prevent exposures like these:

2211745200_3f15e54f3b.jpg

2211745118_f0b55e1627.jpg

I know that there are filters that could be of use. But I don't have an slr and I'm guessing that filters are not normally used on cameras like mine. (Sony Cybershot DSC H7)

Is there another option open to me or should I just wait for afternoon light/overcast days?

What exactly are you unhappy about?

Do you think that the photos are too bright in some places? If that's the case, then making the aperture smaller (making the f/number larger) or shortening the shutter speed will fix that.

Do you think that the photos are both too bright in some places but too dark in others? If that's the case then you may want to explore HDR photography. Or, yes, you'd need to wait for a more overcast day when the highlights from the Sun will be more muted.

What exactly are you unhappy about?

Do you think that the photos are too bright in some places? If that's the case, then making the aperture smaller (making the f/number larger) or shortening the shutter speed will fix that.

Do you think that the photos are both too bright in some places but too dark in others? If that's the case then you may want to explore HDR photography. Or, yes, you'd need to wait for a more overcast day when the highlights from the Sun will be more muted.

That is exactly it. The areas that are overexposed seem so harsh to me. I had tried messing with the aperture and shutter speed and, while it did change things, wasn't what I wanted either.

I have heard very little about HDR. The results I have seen look amazing. Am I correct in thinking HDR is combining several photos of the same subject with different exposures in a strategic way?

I have heard very little about HDR. The results I have seen look amazing. Am I correct in thinking HDR is combining several photos of the same subject with different exposures in a strategic way?

Yes. It's been posted about on this forum a lot, plus any Google search will give you thousands of results.

The problem is that you can't get such a wide range of tones into a single exposure. This has been an issue for photographers since the invention of photography...so don't think it your fault.

As the photographer, you have to choose what you want to be exposed properly...or else you have to do something about the light. Either come back when the light is better, or add or subtract light where needed.

As mentioned, you can use multiple exposures (with different values) to get more tones, then combine them into one image.

Actually, filters are used on those cameras. I have a Cybershot DSC-H2 and use a UV filter and a polarizing filter often.

Thank you for the replies!! I may go back and try for an HDR image, then.

Hey we have the same backyard! SRF Encinitas.

-Shea :mrgreen:

I'm sort of surprised to see someone else from North County on here! Although, with the area we live in and it's beauty, how could people around here NOT want to learn photography? :)

Lyncca said:
The only way I have ever seen a sunset is if I am STILL UP!
One of my first thoughts when I got my camera (since it actually has manual modes to change shutter speeds and such) was "Great, now I can take pictures without flash when I'm actually awake!"

jdjd1118 said:
Actually, filters are used on those cameras. I have a Cybershot DSC-H2 and use a UV filter and a polarizing filter often.

That is great to know! My camera came with a very short catalog of some accessories you can get for it. I had assumed they weren't "real" filters. I hadn't known that non-slr cameras could have attachments so it seemed odd.

You guys are going to laugh... but I was reading this article about a budding 'tog that had a P&S and had similar issues but more with reflective surfaces. Her solution was to place her polarized sunglasses lens in front of the P&S lens and shoot away. The results were surprisingly good!

In this case, the issue is a too broad range of tonality, not reflective sheen. HDR would likely get you the best results if used in moderation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back