Brighter than human eyes 50mm f1.0 ?

Nikon made a MF F/1.2 58mm nocto that was stunning. It's been out of production a very long time and it's now really a collectible big hunk of glass. It was engineered to be it's sharpest wide open. It really was only average at f/8, but wide open it was super. The crop of other SLR big aperture lenses don't compete at all with it or the older rangefinder super large aperture lenses.

The Noctilux may be more of a nightmare than a dream. It's a challenging lens to use on a Leica rangefinder. The focus area is central in the viewfinder, and is fairly small. Thankfully it is accurate, and usable in very low light. If a composition works with one of the subject's eyes in the centre that is a great advantage, but don't expect to be able to move the focussing ring fast enough to keep a moving subject in focus. The technique I use is to focus as best as I can, then move my head back and forth until exact focus is obtained, then hold focus by moving with the subject. I believe that this is a commonly-used technique.

It is an advantage if you are using fast, grainy film. If the grain is large and sharp, it helps to give the appearance of sharpness where it might not exist.

Best,
Helen

I use a Viewfinder Magnifier when working with the Noctilux. I think the little thin focusing ring on it is actually ridiculous, I really like the Nokton though. But yeah, I do the head bob (slow motion woodpecker?) as well in order to nail the focus.

haha... "slow motion woodpecker"

The Noctilux may be more of a nightmare than a dream. It's a challenging lens to use on a Leica rangefinder.

I will agree that shooting with a noctilux is difficult.. but a nightmare?? no way. It is more like a real challenge. I find such joy in working that challenge. When things work out, I am very excited with the results. When I head out into dim light, R-d1 w/ 32mm f1.2 nokton on my shoulder and the M8 w/ Noctilux in my hand.

But.. yeh.. it has a very long throw focusing ring which means focusing is slow. It is a bit bulky and heavy (still compact by SLR standards). On normal outings, I head out with a much smaller lens.

I will agree that shooting with a noctilux is difficult.. but a nightmare?? no way.

Sorry if my lighthearted comment came over as being serious. I wouldn't use the Noctilux or the 75 'lux as often as I do if I thought they really were nightmares to use.

Best,
Helen

nice lens, nice shots.

but our eyes can not only pull that off, but everything is in focus.

nice try though....

50mm Noctilux f/1.0, wide open:

1185478492.jpg

This photo is very sharp isn't it. The wooden boat and the ketchup bottle are so sparkling with very attractive colour reproduction. This kind of pictures is not because just the f1 - but I think from the high class optics first, than the wide aperture. Capturing the image as the eyes see it must seem very expensive work.

He he, for that $6000 I need to be content with this f3.5. Oop f5.6 sound better.

Oh btw. If this f1 is brighter than human eye than what is the f number the equivalent of the human eye?

Hard to say, almost impossible to answer... too many variable factors.

What is clear is that the human eye has much greater dynamic range than any sensor. In an extremely bright sunny outdoor environment we can still see great detail in shady corners - something no film or sensor has been able to do yet.

...and yes, sharpness in the focal plane definitely is a result of a well-made lens.

The eye is generally considered to have a maximum aperture of around f/2 and a minimum of f/8. The instantaneous dynamic range of the eye is not particularly great (maybe six stops), but as we scan scenes our sensitivity changes, giving the effect of a higher dynamic range. It's like exposure stacking, variable ISO, tone mapping, auto white balance and focus stacking all at once. Oh, and the colour space is vast, and simultaneously RGB and Lab and who knows what else.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back