Brochure. Now what?

Cinka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in the process of designing and printing a brochure to help market my portraits and headshots. Now what? I was wondering what you guys do with your brochures? Leave them places? Where? I figure posting them on community bulletin boards is a start, but was wondering if anyone else had some great ideas?

I'm in the process of designing and printing a brochure to help market my portraits and headshots. Now what? I was wondering what you guys do with your brochures? Leave them places? Where? I figure posting them on community bulletin boards is a start, but was wondering if anyone else had some great ideas?

Modeling schools, beauty schools, beauty parlors, your local chamber of commerce. If you will be doing children: daycares, preschools, etc.

Just today a lawyer came by my office and showed me his web site and he said he was unhappy with his photo. Boy all the photos sucked they needed better shots of there whole team. I almost told him about me and my camera but Im not really ready to jump into a job like that. But the point is maybe you can check local websites of places like that and you can send them a email or stop by and hand them a brochure.

I really wish this had been my idea, but photogoddess gave me the best idea I had ever heard of.

She (and now I) print business cards of our clients to give to them with our information on them. I don't know how she does it but I will take a photo and print out 5 sheets of 10 cards per page, cut them and give them to my clients. This way, the client wants to show the photo off to people and I want my name out there. This is by far the best thing that I have ever done.

Attachments

• $Brady Card.jpg
    $Brady Card.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 134
I love that idea dpolston...I think I am going to have to try that. I just shot two families this weekend so I will given them some...
do you choose the best picture from thier session?

Yes... it is my choice for a couple of reasons. First, I am vain and love the control thing (actually, I do it to exhibit some of my creative style to my clients). Secondly, it is a big surprise to the client because if they're new to you, they won't expect it. This gives the OMG factor.

By the way, when I print more than 2 pages of these, I usually go to Kinko's. You'll have to kick them around some in the beginning. One guy said they could print 10 per page (true size from a pdf 2" x 3.5"). Another guy said that 8 per page is better and make them 2.25" x 3.75" so that they cut them with no border (which makes it a true size card, but when you do this make sure that your information is still in the 2x3.5 area). The last guy I talked to just said bring the image and they'll do it all - but that'll cost ya. Now, I usually take them an 8 per page pdf and let them add the cut lines (mainly because I can't figure out how to show layout lines when I print something out. I know it's probably in photoshop somewhere but I've been to busy to find it out).

The really neat way to give them the cards (I do it when I show the proofs or deliver the proof CD) is put the cards in a little box with a bow, like a small gift.

(I really wish I could take the credit for that one.)

I really wish this had been my idea, but photogoddess gave me the best idea I had ever heard of.

She (and now I) print business cards of our clients to give to them with our information on them. I don't know how she does it but I will take a photo and print out 5 sheets of 10 cards per page, cut them and give them to my clients. This way, the client wants to show the photo off to people and I want my name out there. This is by far the best thing that I have ever done.

You're so sweet! :lovey: I hope this idea is working out well for you. The way I do it is to design the card in PS then upload to my lab WHCC and order a box of 50 double sided rep cards through their press products division. Lots of labs offer this option and it's cheap advertising... costs me $12 per 50 cards. Well worth the expense IMO.

This is what they look like...

Pearltest2.jpg

rearhrepcard.jpg

Direct mail works, especially for high school seniors.

I've heard some photographers will hook up with the local welcome wagon, though I've not tried this myself.

-Pete

I have had good experience with welcome for many years...the past couple have been disastrous mind you...LOL...long story and welcome wagon has some 'interesting people' working for them. However, they do 'new business' welcomes, along with new home buyers welcomes and new babies, of coarse, along with bridal shows, which is the side i have been involved with. so, yes, contact your local welcome wagon and get your brochures into their welcome baskets.

Also...think of your target audience, if its formal portraits, business ie lawyers, insurance companies, any kind of professional office ususally does an annual business card/company promo shoot, so send them your info!

If its babies/kids you are after, go to local kids shops and see if you can leave your card, or go to nursery schools/daycares.

good luck!

these are really good ideas
photogoddess and kim, thanks. I plan on using both of these soon

Most reactions

Back