Broken lens... worth repair?

rabman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.5 isn't working properly. I paid $950 for it five years ago. Repair guy estimated $580 to fix it. AF works great at 500mm but from 50-499mm, it won't focus/shoot.

I was thinking about a 300mm f2.8 prime, maybe the time is right.

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

I would use the opportunity to upgrade. After 5 years your photography would greatly improve with a faster, sharper lens. I am sure your skill level is more than ready for an upgrade.

The 300mm prime is a HUGE step up from considering whether or not to repair a 50-500. That's a $5800 lens for the VR2.

Have you considered a 70-200 VR2 with a teleconverter? A 1.7x TC will give you the equivalent of 510mm on a cropped sensor and much cheaper than the 300mm 2.8.

You really need to send that to a different repairman for a *reasonable* estimate...

You really need to send that to a different repairman for a *reasonable* estimate...

X20! sigma will only charge around 250 to completely go through the Bigma and make it like new. it is a great lens for the dollar and now out of production. the average used price is still what you paid for yours. It is highly sought after still.

$580 sounds utterly ridiculous! Get another estimate.

$580 ???? You need to check out some other repair shops. I just got a quote from a place in CA of $285 to completely overhaul my Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8. I think if you check around, you'll find some more reasonable prices.

X20! sigma will only charge around 250 to completely go through the Bigma and make it like new. it is a great lens for the dollar and now out of production. the average used price is still what you paid for yours. It is highly sought after still.

this.....some lenses are worth fixing and this is one of them. Get another quote.

this.....some lenses are worth fixing and this is one of them. Get another quote.

I love mine!

250.95 like I said

online quote from precision photo

https://www.precisioncamera.com/onecart.php

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back