Broken Manfrotto tripod head - how to find spare parts and fix it

Sbiriguda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Manfrotto compact light aluminum tripod like this one
Manfrotto Compact Light Aluminum Tripod (White) | Cameraland Sandton
The head of the tripod seems to be broken. When I tighten the screw on the head it gets tight, but not enough to carry the weight of the camera, as it used to before
How can I fix this? Is there a way to do that without replacing the whole head of the tripod?
Thanks

I looked up a similar model on Manfrotto's web site, and the one they show has a payload weight of around 3.3 lbs. There's only one adjustment knob on it. Most Manfrotto heads can be removed from the center column. Some use headless screws to lock the head to the tripod base. There may be a tension adjustment, although the specs state that it only has a single locking screw.

Have you contacted Manfrotto customer service? They may have some help available.

You haven't mentioned the camera type you have, but a 3.3 lb payload is not a lot of capacity. An interchangeable lens SLR and long zoom lens could be too much weight for it. I wouldn't consider anything heavier than a point & shoot camera for it.

Dennis, thank you very much for your answer
vite.JPG
The screw with wing nut is the one that doesn't tighten well inside the hole in this image. The screw doesn't seem to be damaged. Perhaps the problem is the threaded hole. Will try to contact Manfrotto, even though I bought a second hand tripod
My camera is a Canon powershot sx60 hs weight 650 grams that should be 1.433 lb (not familiar with this weight unit anyway...)

It's always a good idea to contact the manufacturer. While you purchased the tripod as used, they still have a lot of help available, and may even have spare parts for sale so you can repair.

I can't easily tell from the photo, but the brass threads could be partially stripped or damaged. That could keep the screw from locking properly against the ball head itself, or a sleeve around it.

replace the cheap ball head.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back