Broken Nikon D90 Lens Mount

Pure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This morning after going to class I went to grab my camera for a small event I had to shoot today for my college's newspaper. While opening up my bag I noticed my lens was separated from my camera. .....Uh oh

Basically somehow the mount on my D90 has been ripped off from the body. The screws were ripped out from the body. It does not seem to have any internal damage minus the stripped threads inside of the screw mounts.

I've asked the local camera store for an estimate and they said around $300 to repair it. I've also thought about going the insurance route, however I need to find out the deductible on my parent's insurance coverage. Do you think I should go the repair route and get it fixed, or go the insurance route?

Nikon's warranty on bodies is two years; the D90 hasn't even been on store shelves for that long.

If it really did just "come apart" without any obvious cause (ie.: dropping it), Nikon should be repairing this for free under warranty.

Nikon's warranty on bodies is two years; the D90 hasn't even been on store shelves for that long.

If it really did just "come apart" without any obvious cause (ie.: dropping it), Nikon should be repairing this for free under warranty.

I contacted Nikon and I'll be shipping it to the repair facility and have them see if they will fix it free of charge. However I am still looking into more options. I may end up just taking the insurance money and investing in a new body.

I would invest it in a new body too. Something better built.

I was looking into the D300s as I'd like to stay DX for now and It has a much better build quality.

I'm not doing anything until I get word from Nikon. Nikon will probably give me some damn reason not to repair it for free so who knows. My local repair shop quoted me a repair cost of $250-$400. Which would not be worth it at all.

Well, if Nikon refuses service, I would first try to fit it. Beyond that, invoking your insurance policy probably makes the most sense.

fit it or fight it?

As far as the insurance policy goes, if all else fails I'll get the insurance money and probably invest in a D300s since I have enough saved to upgrade the body.

Lmk how this goes, i wouldnt mind ripping the lens off my camera for a d300 ;)

So it seems I'm down to repairing my camera or selling it for parts.

Basically the deductible on my parents insurance is $500, which totally screws me. So it's either be camera-less until I can repair it, have Nikon fix it for free [which they damn well better since it broke off without falling damage], or sell it.

As for the insurance policy my mother decided to make up or "thought" she had a rider policy to cover stuff like this with a WAY less deductible. Unfortunately she didn't and now I'm stuck with this mess. It could have been only like $100 if she got the right insurance when I went to college.

I'll let you know how it goes, I'll be shipping the camera out this weekend after classes.

In the US, Nikon's camera body warranty is only for 1 year:

THIS IS YOUR NIKON INC. ONE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY (VALID IN THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES, ALASKA, HAWAII, CENTRAL AND SOUTH AMERICA, AND THE CARIBBEAN).

The warranty on US lenses is for 5 years.

The other important warranty factoid is the warranty only applies to the original owner.

can you superglue it?

if there's no other damage to the body/mount as far as electronics go, and the mount fits tight when you slide it back on, i'd get some loc tite and glue it back on.

I would invest it in a new body too. Something better built.
Yep, like a D300s with a metal body.

I keep telling people the D90 is an entry level, plastic bodied camera, but......

I notice Pure didn't mention what lens was involved.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back