Broken SB-900...Thoughts?

jmtonkin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wouldn't you know it, I buy a bunch of stuff to get my flash off-camera, and the day it comes, my flash stops working.

Any ideas what might be happening? I set my flash off camera through an umbrella, and was triggering it with my pop-up (my triggers haven't arrived yet). It worked amazingly for the first 10-15 shots, but then quit working. I THINK I heard a popping noise, but I can't remember exactly. Anyway, my flash stopped firing after those 10-15 shots. It beeped several times and the red button on the back blinked several times, but no flash. I tried to fire the flash from on-camera; the red button blinked several times, but did not fire. I tried pushing the red button to fire it, and nothing happened. Everything else works just fine on the flash. All the menus and everything.

I called Nikon, and they walked me through a bunch of things, but none of it worked. They advised me to send it in for repair with an estimate of $109.

Has this happened to anyone else before? What was it?

Like I said, this would happen the day all my flash accessories are set to arrive. I feel crushed.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know much about flashes but it kinda sounds like the flash tube blew. So send it in.

I hope you weren't shooting at full power because I read about those flashes (why they came out with the SB-910) could overheat and blow the flashtube.

It definitely didn't overheat, but I was shooting TTL, so I'm not sure how powerful it was shooting. I don't think it was full power, though.

SB-900's don't overheat as fast as the internet would make you believe and I doubt that's what happened.
The tube probably just blew out and when Nikon gets done with it,you'll have a practically brand new flash.
I dropped off a malfunctioning 80DX at the Melville center a couple of years ago and when I got it back,it even looked brand new.
Cost was about the same as replacing it with another used one,but now it's like new.
Never had a problem with my 900(I use the 910 more often),but it's well worth fixing if it breaks.

I'm hoping that for the $109+shipping that it works for me. Lord knows that I don't have money laying around for a new used flash...Even $109 is stretching it, but I have a couple gigs coming up in a month or so, so here's to hoping it's something simple!

I'm with others on flash tube. Don't be down about repairs... Last month had 2 flashes and 2 cameras in repairs. All 4 were on hold for parts. Luckily I refuse to sell older gear when purchase upgrades.

Good Luck.
Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back