Bronica ETR shutter problem? Help please!

Admodel20d

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, obviously im rather new here and mainly signed up to find an answer to a rather annoying problem i've been having, if however i find i like the place i'll probably end up a regular poster.

Recently i've been building a Bronica Medium Format kit, got a 75mm 3.5 EII, a 120 back and an ETR body in good working order.

My problem however is rather a strange one...
The leaf shutter that closes right in front of the iris seems to be the problem, yet im unsure if its the lens or the camera or even the film back.
Basically what happens is, if i have the camera pointed down, everything works fine at all speeds and F-stops. (most [by that i mean about 95%] of the time). The mirror flips up fine and the iris closes down to whatever its set to nicely. (I've been testing with 1 sec exp to make it easier to see the problem) Pointed down the leaf shutter closes after 1 sec just as it should, yet if i point the camera upwards its not the same story.

While being pointed at the sky the leaf shutter on the 75mm closes instantly, letting no light through and not exposing the film (not tested with film yet but its clear to see its not working properly, especially when it closes the leaf shutter straight away on an 8sec exposure!)
Furthermore, with the film back off, sometimes the shutter works fine pointed upwards, and sometimes not.

Could any of this be fixed with a simple service?
I've tried cleaning the contacts but to no avail and i've seperated all the individual pieces to inspect any moving parts and i cant see any immediate problems. Everything appears to be working normally, except only when i shoot the floor....

Got me confused.. :(

Got a couple of videos of the action im describing too.

Working (Note: pointed down, shutter leaf stays open for exposure [1 sec.])
http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq232/Bondy_2225/vids/?action=view&current=4a348e5c.flv

Not working (Note: pointed up, shutter leaf closes instantly [1 sec. exp])
http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq232/Bondy_2225/vids/?action=view&current=e83a3fcf.flv

A CLA will do the trick. Just take it to a specialized camera repair shop and tell them the problem, I'm positive the techs will do a CLA job.

Do you have another lens to check to see if it consistant with only that lens?

I had a 150 lens do the same thing, it turned out to be the retaining ring just behind the rear cell was loose. It caused the lens barrel halves to wiggle a bit n not make proper contact with the internal shutter connections.

If you can't do this yourself, take it in for a CLA n your repairmen will correct it.

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is a CLA?
Unfortunately i only have this one lens so cant test it on another, unless i can borrow one from college just to see whats what, i'll try that thursday.
Also it seems the closest camera repair shop is something like 20 miles away, and they may not even do medium format...bah!

Clean, Lubricate, Adjust.

CLA is a clean lube n adjust... that's basically an overhaul that will cure most minor problems. Of course if the shutter is shot.. that's another story but the repairmen will let you know the details once it's opened up on the bench.

Just for the jheck of it.. try one of your college lenses to see if the problem is there with a different lens. That will also give you a chance to compare the other lens to yours.

To me it sounds like the barrel halves are loose n all you need to do is tighten the retaining ring in the back... it's the big black ring around the rear cell. It has 2 slots to grab it, just twist it around nice n tight.

Where are you located? Did you try looking up Bronica ETRS repairs online? BTW a used lens in good condition is arund $60-$100. Check out KEH or the classifieds on these photo forums like PhotoNet n Nelsons. I see em all the time.

Progress! ok so i took the camera to college with me and tried a different lens on it. i think it was a 150mm, not sure didnt pay too much attention since i was halfway through colour darkroom printing. The 150mm seemed to work fine for the most part, more so than my 75mm anyway.

I had a look at the retaining ring, i guess you mean on the back of the lens right around the rear element? That thing aint getting any tigter than it is, it wouldn't budge in either direction.

Been looking at the lens a bit more, there is a very slight rattle when it is turned from up to down and vice versa, mostly its just the moving parts i assume, but maybe something is loose inside.

I'll hunt around for my nearest camera repair shop tomorrow.
Thanks for the help guys :)

Well if the retaining ring is tight, it's something else. Price a repair n see if it costs more than a buying another used one. Check KEH n see if they have a bargain lens for less than a repair.

That ratteling in your lens are the ball bearings in the shutter transport n that is normal. My guess is the shutter's electronic flat cable must be shorting or loose.

Let us know how it turns out? I'm curious.

Well i bought this lens for £35 (im in the uk btw), a pretty damn good deal i thought, its in really nice condition and im gonna presume the seller didnt know it was slightly faulty.

KEH? hehe man i need to start learning the terminology around here :lol:
Thanks again for the help, i'll check back when i've managed to find a repair shop.

I've bought close to $1000 worth of equipment from KEH.com without complaint. Their rating system is great. I usually buy Excellent + to bargain grade equipment and I've never had a problem. I bought my eos 1n-rs, 540ez speedlite, bronica etrs, zenzanon 75mm lens, mamiya rb67 pro-sd, backs for both medium format cameras, my luna pro sbc, and my mamiya sekor c 90mm 2.8 lens. Everything works amazingly well. I would highly recomend keh.

Ok finally back at college after the christmas break and i now know where the camera repair shop my tutor was going on about is.
It probably could just do with a service but next time i go into the city i'll take it with me and see what they can do.
I'll come back when i've got more info.
I've had a good look on KEH too, they do have some good stuff, waiting for a decently priced WLF on ebay seems impossible.
Maybe i'll treat myself when payday comes around again ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back