Bronica Etrs shutter problem

XitzpatX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I bought a bronica etrs about a month ago. It had been working fine till a couple days ago that I noticed. Now the shutter speed wont physically change no matter what speed the dial is at. Since I had already ran a few rolls through it and even checked the shutter when I first got it. I thought the battery might of died and it was running on the mechanical 1/500th. But I bought a new battery for it and the shutter still doesn't work properly. It appears to be firing on a consistent shutter speed and the aperture does close properly. But there is a red light that appears on the bottom right of the viewfinder showing that the battery is making contact.I tried two methods to check if its a problem with the lens or body and they're both working properly. I had read online that its good to use a silver oxide battery but when my camera worked it used a lithium battery. I'd rather not send it out to get it a CLA since that'll cost more than a new lens or body. Has anybody had this problem and found a way to fix it?

Contacts inside the lens are worn-down. Get another, working lens or you might try to fix it yourself. Here is the manual
http://www.buonaluce.com/Slens.pdf
Good luck.

With the lens wide open, you're actually seeing no change in the leaf shutter's speed, right?

With the lens wide open, you're actually seeing no change in the leaf shutter's speed, right?

Yeah the speed looks the same and it does it when I have the aperture stopped down too

Yeah the speed looks the same and it does it when I have the aperture stopped down too

Mentioned wide open only to facilitate watching the leaf shutter work--aperture has no effect on the lens's shutter. What's up with the film you shot? Battery type shouldn't be critical. Lens/body contacts clean? Do you have a metered or prism finder?

Mentioned wide open only to facilitate watching the leaf shutter work--aperture has no effect on the lens's shutter. What's up with the film you shot? Battery type shouldn't be critical. Lens/body contacts clean? Do you have a metered or prism finder?

I shoot regular 120 film, the contacts look good and clean, and I use a prism finder

I shoot regular 120 film, the contacts look good and clean, and I use a prism finder

But you said in your opening post that you'd shot several rolls with this camera. How'd those turn out? Have you shot anything "post-problem?"

But you said in your opening post that you'd shot several rolls with this camera. How'd those turn out? Have you shot anything "post-problem?"

Ohh yeah I had put about 4 rolls through it, as of exposure it looks accurate except for the last photo on the last roll. It was really underexposed, I had the camera set to 1/8th at the time which is what my light meter read so that's probably when it started messing up. Other than that one exposure I havent shot anything after it

Do you have always your metering prism on the body ? Which type is it ? Was it turned on when you were investigating the problem ?

Do you have always your metering prism on the body ? Which type is it ? Was it turned on when you were investigating the problem ?

Its not the metered prism I was just referring to my hand held meter sorry for the confusion

So, what kind of viewfinder do you have for this camera ?

Shutter speed of 1/8 is pretty slow, I've had older cameras not fire the shutter accurately at slow settings or bulb but work with faster speeds. Do you think it could be stuck/still firing at the slow speed? Can you get an idea by listening to it if it's slowish or fast when it releases? I'm not familiar with your particular camera or if there would be a way to get it working again at a faster speed.

So prism is not the cause. Back to lens then as a culprit. I have a one (50mm) firing properly only every second time. Go figure.

So im guessing that the shutters in bronica lenses aren't very reliable and so I need to buy a new one since that's most likely why my camera isn't working properly

Most reactions

Back