Brownie's

Bryant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today, my photography teacher helped me get my Brownie and Hawkeye up and running. It said to use 620 film, but it wouldn't be worth the troubles to buy special film and ship it to get developed. It said on the bottom to not use 120, can anyone tell me why, but the reel fit it well, and I can develop it with ease.

The spool wouldn't fit on the bottom area, so i put it in the top and reverse reeled and it spun correctly. Question though, around the 10th shot, I believe the film got off the rollover points that allow the film to cross the path where the shutter opens, hard to explain. It got really hard to turn, but it was able to be done. Is this the reason why 120 isnt supposed to be use, i have never heard of film sliding around like that.

Any info on why 120 isn't supposed to be used and why the film slid?

Thanks

I don't know for sure...but I think it's the spooling that is different. Many people do as you did, and use 120 film, but I think they either re-spool it themselves...or order it that way.

I've got an old Brownie Hawk-eye in mint condition...I really should try to use it some day.

120 and 620 film are the same. It's the spools that are different.

A few low-priced 620 cameras were made with loose enough tolerances
that both 120 & 620 can be used.

An easier thing to do is just sand down the 120 reel ends until it fits. Thats what I do for my Argus 75.

An easier thing to do is just sand down the 120 reel ends until it fits. Thats what I do for my Argus 75.

You still have to respool, don't you? Or do you sand it with the film on? :confused:

I found a brownie for sale that had experienced that very same problem. I think the person selling it just did not know better and thought it was broken when the film got hard to advance.

Hmmm... I've been considering getting out and investigating the Brownie that was in the cupboard when I was looking for Grandpa's Nikkormat. I'm not sure who the Brownie came from. Anyway... I'm glad I found this thread.

Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of prices are reasonable for either 620 or 120 film (with a couple of spare 620 reels)? I get suspicious that the local camera store prices things way high, based on when I was looking for a digital camera their prices were twice what I got at Best Buy or American for the same item. I'll go looking for online sources tomorrow... 1am is not the best time to start a new project!

One can easily find spare 620 spools on eBay (I would get 3-4). Once you respool the 120 onto them, then expose the film, you send it to be developed but with the request that your 620 spool be returned to you. Labs will honor your request.

620 FILM both black and white are avalabel from "Filmforclassics.com". And lest any one doubt the ability of a Brownie to take Pictures, here are a few from a Brownie found stored away with undeveloped filmin it. I am posting therest on the Black and White Forum.

image005.jpg

image008-3.jpg

Have fun.
Judge Sharpe

Thanks for all your help... I sanded down the 120 reels and ran a roll through. They were all fogged, only 3 were barely visible, they did add an eerie effect though so it wasnt a lost cause

Most reactions

New Topics

Back