Bubblers

EOV

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So most people know the following as drinking fountains. However, I know that in some states they are referred to as "bubblers."

Anyway, I am at the point in my apprenticeship here at TPF where I need to start posting some of my pictures to get some serious feedback. I feel like I am starting to remember things that others say and am starting to get things put together. However, I just don't know if I am there yet, something that makes them stand out, stand apart, make them more than mere snapshots.

What I need from my fellow TPF'ers is some serious and hopefully good-natured C&C. I would like to think I can take what you can give me but I would like constructive criticism, something I can work on and improve with. Thank you to all who make this a wonderful community to learn from and be inspired by. Thank you also to those who put serious time into thoughtful C&C's on your own time for the betterment of the members.

All shot with a Nikon D5100 with a 18-55mm kit lens. Yes I know its a kit lens but we all have to start somewhere and I would like to halfway know what I am doing before upgrading.

Fountain 1: 1/640, f 5.6, ISO 200.

$11917046515_5aa018161e_b.jpg

Fountain 2: 1/320, f 5.6, ISO 200
$11917087345_40c183aabd_b.jpg

Fountain 3: 1/125, f 5.0, ISO 200
$11917163575_90c2c376cb_b.jpg

I'm glad you posted your shots. It takes courage to ask people for C&C but I find when I do that, I learn something. I try to never take anything someone says personally. It's their opinion. Also, don't make excuses about equipment, software, or anything else when you post. The picture must stand on its own. If you screwed up technically and know that before you post, either don't post it or correct it or get ready for the criticism. By the way, the equipment and lens you used is better than 95% of the camera equipment ever produced. So that will not limit your skills.

Regarding the images, they're interesting. The question is always, how to make the viewer stop and take notice. These are picture of shapes for the most part. You might try B/W which works well with shapes. Pictures 1 and 2 seem cropped too tight. Leave a little breathing room. Picture 1 has a distracting fence in the background. Before shooting, move around a little and check the backgrounds to see what will work. Often, plain uncomplicated backgrounds work best. I like 3 the best. The rust colors and overgrowth make it the picture I would want to study the most as a viewer to see what it's about. One other thing. When you decide which pictures are the best, get rid of the others. People often post every picture they take in their portfolio. Be very discriminating. It will make your portfolio much better to only include the really good shots.

Good luck and keep posting and please realize these are just my opinions.

^I agree with him, pretty much. Number 3 is also my favorite-the overgrowth, the crumbling cement, it's definitely interesting. And as for bubblers... You haven't lived in Wisconsin, have you? I've never heard anyone from outside of WI call them bubblers. :lol:

I know you know that photography is not about equipment. Your equipment is more then enough.
Alan Klein wrote a very nice reply.

#1 watch for your background. Try different angles, that angle doesn't work, lower it a bit. Get lower and a bit to right and see what you would get. Try to incorporate the lines of the pedestrian there in the background you'll get that way.
#2 different angle, move yourself even more to the wall, all the way, and watch those lines on the wall. They suppose to show depth.
#3 well it's a great photo for learning about software, conversion and playing with shapes lines. Again, I would take a different angle

all above is jmo

Thank you all. I agree it is not about the equipment. I guess I was getting pre-defensive about it because I have seen other threads that say you need fast glass or this or that. Thank you for the encouragement and thanks to your help I am over that mental hurdle.

Luckily all three of these are near to home and I can go make and recompose them. #1 is hard because from all angles ther seems to be a fence but I will see what I can do. I do like the idea of working at it until I get it "right" and Maria has some good suggestions for re-composition.

Minicoop, I am originally from Minnesota but had friends from Wisconsin that called them bubblers.

I would just like to say EOV, that is a fantastic mustache you have there!

Looks like a great start to a Bubblers coffee table book ;)

They are interesting. I'm no great photographer lol just viewing them they didn't really stand out for me.. But thanks for sharing :)

Most reactions

Back