Buddha underexposed

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do you think that the monument is too dark/underexposed?

any further critique welcome as well :)

hongkong03_190.jpg

The Buddha statue seems dark and I can't see much detail on it, but I don't trust the monitor on my laptop, so I'll let others comment on that aspect.

The backlit flags add a nice amount of colour, and there seems to be lots of detail in the steep stairs etc, right up to the point of the statue itself. It must have been quite impressive to see this in person.

The Buddha statue seems dark and I can't see much detail on it,

The backlit flags add ...

that is my feeling too... and the scene being backlit is the problem for Mr Buddha as he is not transparent ;)

I could push it a bit electronically as I have this as a true 16-bit image from my scanner....

It's dark for me too.
Also, the flag and the leaves in the foreground are distracting, if Buddha is your main subject.

Wow, I hadn't even seen the leaves until you mentioned it! I wish there were more detail on the Buddha...but I love the colors in the flags. Looks like an amazing place :)

sounds like I'll go back to it for reprocessing ...

The camera exposed correctly for the sky, just not the subject. A photo like this would lend itself well to an hdr conversion. Very nice composition here! I made a feeble attempt to bring in some more detail...

hongkong03_190-3.jpg

If you take the first one and darken the sky a stop or so it would make a great Art print. I think the back-lit foreboding vibe works very well on this. mike

The camera exposed correctly for the sky

Actually, the photographer exposed correctly for the backlit flags :p

Thanks for the edit, I see what you mean.

A classic digital HDR would not have been possible, as this is on slide film.

Most reactions

Back