Building a cheap light tent

akazoly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to build a cheap light tent for product photography.

I have:

- 7xA3 tracing paper.
- 1x30W Daylight bulb (6400 K).
- 3x25W Daylight bulb (6400 K).
- 1 carton box.

I want to achieve:

- A pure white background

Now I need your ideas. I need to put the tracing paper on left, right and top side of box ?

boxmediumcopypg8.jpg

Thanks!

I would get a white card or thick paper, and bend it in, so that it forms the floor and back wall (two sides). Don't fold it, you want a seamless transition from wall to floor.

Then cut out as much of the rest of the box as you can replace with the paper. Leave a hole for a lens.

Sometimes people prefer a gradient to a pure white background.

A light tent isn't going to give you a pure white background...it's just for giving you nice soft light.

To get a white background, you need to put more light onto the background....which might be easier without a light tent/box.

If the background is almost white, it usually isn't too hard to tweak it a bit with software....to get what you are looking for.

Of course, you could use a layer mask (in Photoshop) to do it, but it might not look as good/natural.

I read somewhere, I need to overexpose the photo to achieve pure white background.
Ok I overexpose with spot metering. I get the pure white background but the subject is overexposed.

Is possible to solve this problem using the Exposure lock on camera? I want to overexpose only the background (the white background).

If your scene is mostly white (white paper background) then that will trick the light meter in your camera...so yes, you would need to add positive exposure.

To simplify things, I would put the camera into manual mode and take test shots. Look at the histogram after each shot and adjust the exposure until most of the graph is close to the right side.

That should help, but it's still possible that your subject will be brighter than you want, and the background might not be all the way white. So like I said before, you may need to put more light onto the background (without putting more light onto the subject.)

Thanks Mike! Now I think how to illuminate the background, because the object sit on white paper. I think I need a bottom light

For testing purposes I put two bulb behind the subject:

example11nu9.jpg

With spot metering and little over exposure I get this:

brush3ja5.jpg

Of course I have a little top lighting (not visible in image).

I achieve the pure white background only with spot metering, this is normal ?

Time to bring back this thread. I am also wondering how to achieve a perfect white background with a light tent.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back