Building a Vintage darkroom but I'm a noob so it could all go horribly wrong..

Schubacabra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so yeah I don't know what I'm doing pretty much at all but I love photography and my four year old daughter got a camera for Christmas and she loves it as well. I thought why not build a darkroom so we can develop photos together. We could spend quality time together and start a life long hobby that we can share. So I'm just getting started. I like vintage stuff so I decided that to make my darkroom unique and more to my tastes I would use as many vintage touches as possible. I'm converting my office closet and attached bathroom from my eBay station to the the darkroom. This thread is going to follow the whole process. Any comments, suggestions, critiques, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

The space 7'x6.5' (from the back of the attached smaller closet is 7' so it's a little smaller) As you can see I need to remove a bunch of stuff.

DSCN5333_zps7b4112a0.jpg

DSCN5334_zpsa22f4c9b.jpg

DSCN5335_zps9c5995ff.jpg

The attached bathroom.

DSCN5332_zps505a3da5.jpg

DSCN5331_zps76e229a3.jpg

So step one is to remove all my eBay stuff and take the bathroom and closet doors off.

Here we go...

Nice! That is wonderful! But please define what you mean by "Vintage"?

I'm using vintage items as much as possible safelight, trays, enlarger etc. I've ordered a couple of these things and will add pictures to this thread as they arrive.

Are you planning on doing B&W or color? B&W is much easier to do for a beginner and with a little less equipment. You will need a tank to develop the film, three trays to develop the prints in and an enlarger. You can use a watch for a timer. You will also need a few jugs to hold the mixed chemicals. When making prints you can use a safelight to help you see what you are doing. If you can see without a safelight it is not dark yet. The other day, as I was loading film the phones rang. The dial light showed up on the film. Time and temperature are the rule for film. Prints I always judge by how they look under the safelight. It takes a while to get that down good but it comes pretty quick. There is nothing like seeing the first picture come onto that blank sheet of paper as it sits in the developer and then just get better and better. That should make both of you hooked for life. I can almost remember my first ones in 1952. I find BH Photo has a large assortment of needs and just a little less expensive than Freestyle. I have used Freestyle since 1952 also. If you need a film tank or so I just bought a bunch of stuff on Craigs list and got more tanks than I need. I already had more than I needed so if you want a couple tanks let me know. I also have quite a few 5X7 trays if you want to do small size prints. The big advantage to them isthey take up a lot less space on a counter and less chemical to fill. Cost wou;d be postage.

Last edited:
TODAYS PROGRESS

Added a cool metal piece that I had around the house to use as my "clothes line" The vintage developing hangers that I have coming are going to look awesome on it. I'm going to need a step stool to use it but I figured this would keep the hanging pictures out of my way when they were drying.

CEILING BEFORE

DSCN5371_zps4095051b.jpg

CEILING AFTER

DSCN5374_zps42a4f09b.jpg

DSCN5375_zps299825ea.jpg

I also bought a blackout curtain to hang on the only door into the darkroom. It works almost perfectly. I'm going to have to run some velcro strips on it to keep it flush against the door jamb. When it's not in use I can roll it up from the bottom and throw some clips on it to keep it in place.

DOOR BEFORE

DSCN5372_zps61d07783.jpg

DOOR AFTER

DSCN5373_zps5d1fc7a6.jpg

DSCN5376_zps2c65abdf.jpg

DSCN5378_zps949ecb36.jpg

It's coming along. I can't wait till some of my darkroom tools start coming in so I can show everybody. Stay tuned!

I'm using vintage items as much as possible safelight, trays, enlarger etc. I've ordered a couple of these things and will add pictures to this thread as they arrive.

Skip the enlarger and the safe lights, coat your own paper under candle light and contact print!

Are you planning on doing B&W or color? B&W is much easier to do for a beginner and with a little less equipment. You will need a tank to develop the film, three trays to develop the prints in and an enlarger. You can use a watch for a timer. You will also need a few jugs to hold the mixed chemicals. When making prints you can use a safelight to help you see what you are doing. If you can see without a safelight it is not dark yet. The other day, as I was loading film the phones rang. The dial light showed up on the film. Time and temperature are the rule for film. Prints I always judge by how they look under the safelight. It takes a while to get that down good but it comes pretty quick. There is nothing like seeing the first picture come onto that blank sheet of paper as it sits in the developer and then just get better and better. That should make both of you hooked for life. I can almost remember my first ones in 1952. I find BH Photo has a large assortment of needs and just a little less expensive than Freestyle. I have used Freestyle since 1952 also. If you need a film tank or so I just bought a bunch of stuff on Craigs list and got more tanks than I need. I already had more than I needed so if you want a couple tanks let me know. I also have quite a few 5X7 trays if you want to do small size prints. The big advantage to them isthey take up a lot less space on a counter and less chemical to fill. Cost wou;d be postage.

Man I appreciate the input and I might take you up on that. I plan on starting with black and white and see where it takes me. I have the timer, safelight, trays, (all vintage and super cool looking, check back often as I will upload pics as they arrive) and a few other things all on the way to me. Thats a trip about your phone, note to self cell phones have no place in a darkroom. :wink:

Not sure what spaces (closet and washroom) you are going to use for what purpose.

I suspect you are going to develop film and also print ?

Printing trays take up a lot of space ... and can get messy (spilled/dripping chemicals).

Hmm, is that floor carpeted ?

http://www.shootfreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/developing.jpg

Google Image Result for http://www.philipmorgan.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/trayladderloaded.jpg

You will have to consider the working space around your enlarger.
The space taken up by the trays of chemistry.
Get rid of the carpet on the floor ... the last thing you want is a carpet particle floating around the room ... and the soaked up chemistry really starts smelling after mixing in the fabric.

That's for the heads up on the carpet. I'm still trying to figure a lot out and I appreciate the input. I rent so I don't know about taking the carpet out but I'm going to find out.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back